• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What bedding do you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just like to start a new topic on what people use for their gps bedding. Would like to know how easy it is to get hold of and how much you pay.
At the moment I am using wood shavings, I get it in a huge bale for £6 and it lasts me about 3 weeks. I am due to order next week and now I'm not sure what to get :o

I use vet bed. I bought a 5m roll from ebay for about £60 including p&p. I cut it into pieces that fit exactly into my cage and then have larger bits to go on the shed floor for when they are running around. I put newspaper underneath it. I use newspaper and hay in their bedding areas.

I change the vet bed everyday and it goes in the washing machine and I dry it on a rack in my garage.

I use hay and newspaper. Costs about £4 a week if I can get the bigger bag of hay and a bit more if I can only get smaller ones

I use Megazorb. It costs me £4.99 a bag and I use about 7 a week. I prefer to use Ecobed which only costs me £4.23 for a big bale but I havent had a chance to drive out to collect it. The shop that sells the megazorb is a lot closer.

:) I use Medibed or Belvoir Bedding (chaff) and put in hay for them to play in :) I like to use something they can eat.

lolseh said:
I use hay and newspaper. Costs about £4 a week if I can get the bigger bag of hay and a bit more if I can only get smaller ones

Same for me, hay over newspapper..

Well i just boughrt some vetbed off ebay because i shall be adopting 2 sows soon so I'm just getting their new home sorted !

But i have been usually towels fleece and newspaper

I am using woodshavings with a layer of hay on top.

The ramps of the cage have a layer of carpet on them, and the run attached to their cage is layered with towels.

I think the best thing for piggies feet is variety, different grounds to walk on. Thats why I also have wooden logs and bricks in the cage, so they can walk on different surfaces.

Mine have a layer of new paper with megazorb on top,then i put hay on the bottom section of there hutch
I get the megazorb for £4.50 a bag

Abnoba said:
I am using woodshavings with a layer of hay on top.

Me too have done so forever without problems and have lovley healthy guineas without the predicted skin and respiratory problems it apparently causes?
If there is something better out there, I'd use it, so am open to trying new things :)
Might have a look online later.

I did try the hay over newspaper, but didn't find it satisfactory and I felt the guineas were happier and more comfortable on the shavings/hay.

I mean, I did buy a pack of shavings once where I had to sneeze when I poured it into the cage! that was so dusty, it was horrible!
I can understand people having problems with shavings like that.

But what I usually buy is just very small woodchip like stuff, never had any problems at all! I think it depends whether or not you use a good brand... its just sad that its got such a bad reputation now, because I think its great!

I use vet bed pro fleece over lots of newspaper, its fab stuff. Cuddle cups in the bedroom with hay in and pro fleece on the floor. I use a small hand held vac to get all the poopies up each day and brush it and then wash it twice a week. For visiting pigs or ones I'm looking after I use megazorb and carefresh over newspaper and hay. I have very soft chopped straw for them too.

I use woodshavings for the base and then put in huge mounds of hay. I've used woodshavings for over 15 years and never had a problem with them. I do buy the top quality, dust extracted shavings tho.

Kat

i use newspaper covered with wood shaving and then loads of hays so my babies can hide under the hay.

i have never had a problem with wood shavings too

KatsCavies said:
I I've used woodshavings for over 15 years and never had a problem with them. I do buy the top quality, dust extracted shavings tho.

Kat

Yes, that's what I use :)
I can understand that sawdust could cause problems or shavings from a woodyard or something, but not the dust extracted variety.
Like everything, there are bound to be the odd guinea pig that is sensitive to something and will have a reaction and then I appreciate the importance of finding an alternative floor covering. but when my guineas are as healthy and happy as they are, I'm reluctant to rock the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back