• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What can piggies eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just wondered if anyone had a list of all the things piggies can eat or things to avoid.

So far my Reggie loves plums, apple, brussells, green beans, carrots and cucumber.

I was told to not ever feed him iceberg lettuce as this is not good for them but just wondered if anyone can help with other favourite piggies foods etc.

Thank you in advance

Stacey x

Wow just tried him with tomatoes and he loved them. I love watching his little chops going for it lol.

Do you know if they can eat dried fruits or nuts?
x

Last edited:
I think nuts are a big no no but not sure. P@H sell dried fruit, but then they also sell guinea pig harnesses and leads...so yeah, not sure on that one!

I love that site too, it's great for breed info as well, the forum is quite quiet but nice too :)

I would recommend feeding pellets as opposed to muesli which is eaten very selectively and can lead to scurvy (vitamin C deficiency).

Here is another list of veg, herbs and fruit you can feed:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42

As a rule, give 3-5 veg a day (about 50g/1 cupful in total). Give fruit only every 2-3 days - too much could lead to diabetes and painful mouth sores which can cause loss of appetite.

Big no nos are: dairy products, the onion family, potatoes, avocados, pulses (green beans and mangetout are OK), nuts, seeds. Don't buy shop treats that contain dairy, sugar (even honey) and artificial flavourings - they are junk food! Herbal treats are much better when given in small doses.

I feed my two Science Selective pellets http://www.supremepetfoods.com/products/science which they absolutely love

If you email them [email protected] and ask for a sample (say you'd like to make sure your pigs like it before buying a larger packet) they are usually quite good at sending samples :)

The only downside for me with SS is not many places locally stock it so I have to order online.

Burgess Excel and Wagg Optimum are good too.

As treats they love apple, grapes and corn on the cob :))

mine go mad for parsley. they also like dill and corriander, melon and lettuce (not iceberg) cabbage, kale, spinach, and a very big hit is grass :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back