• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What could it be!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can shed some light!

I had a 4 year old guinea pig living alone since his cage mate passed away a year and a half ago. I decided to get him a new friend, Bertie, about 2 weeks ago as he didn't seem very happy. I went to a rescue and got a 5 week old boar. Not long after my old piggy, Mylo, died. I just put this down to old age.

So a few days after Mylo died I decided Bertie needed a new friend so went back to the rescue and got another 6 week old piggy, Bric, to live with Bertie.

I came home from work yesterday to find Bric had passed away. I can't understand why. I only had him 6 days. I took them both to the vets yesterday and the vet said they both have mange. Can they die from this!?

I'm feeling so guilty and don't know what to do for the best. Do I leave Bertie on his own or go to another rescue (not going back to the last one as I believe she should've known they had mange!) and get another one once the mange has cleared up or do I just leave him as an only pig.

Any advice is most welcome!

Thank you x

Reaction score
Hi Nickyjay,

I am not too sure what to awnser, just wanted to bump this thread up for you, so that someone more knowledgeable can awnser you.

If I where you, I will however go back to the rescue and tell them that they gave you piggies with mange.

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Hi There,

Nickjay, the piggies that were in resue were they indoors or outdoors? Is Berties home indoors?

Did the vet do a Post mortem on them?

I would make the rescue aware of whats happening, do you know if they were siblings?

I'm sorry for your loss. xx

Reaction score
Thank You for the replies.

No the vet didn't do a post mortum. He just said he must've had an underlying condition.

I'm not sure where they were kept as she always had them on the sofa when we went to look.

I keep my guineas inside.

Do you think I should chance getting another one but from a different rescue place. I'm truly gutted. Even though I only had him a week I'd grown attached! X

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
where are you located? Mange is easily solved, take your pig to vets asap. I've never heard of it killing pigs until they are very ill with hair loss etc which doesn't sound like what's happened here. Give your cage a deep clean. Perhaps get your hay from a different source. Are the pigs near a radiator? They aren't good with temp fluctuations. Sorry this happened you must be very sad. I'd advise getting a good rescue to bond your young boy with an older male rather than getting another young one to avoid fall outs due to hormones. Good luck x

Reaction score
No they wern't near a radiator. They were in my hallway. I took Bertie to the vets last night and he was given an injection. Taking him back next week for another one.

I'm going to get him fighting fit again then look info another one!

X

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
aww so sorry about you losses, hope you get Bertie sorted out.

I would let the rescue know too.

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
there is two types of mange generally and one is brought on by stress or illness and is not contageous (my rescued lurcher had a touch of this whilst settling into my home). However I gather the other type of mange is what you have had which is contageous but will not kill the piggie on its own. It will make them feel very low - so would you be if you feel itchy all the time and can make them suceptable to other illnesses as it can reduce their immune system.

When you handle bertie, dont forget to wash your hands and any clothing/snuggle sacs you may be using to prevent the spread of the mange. I get the impression from your post that the new guinea pig wasnt bald or only had a small patch of baldness as you would have known right away there was something wrong with him.

this article is refurring to dogs but the basics are there, this type of mange must be treated with veterinary care
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/sarcoptic_mange.html

and good old wikapedia with both types and pictures of how bad it can be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange

thought this might be useful
http://www.helium.com/items/1898098-how-to-prevent-mange-in-guinea-pigs

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think mange could kill a young animal, because fleas can kill an animal if they are extreme. If the mange was severe and the guinea pig seems sick, lethargic, etc. then it could be that. Or it could be other things that they weren't showing symptoms for

Sorry you lost your pigs :(

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
found this one as well for some reading on mites
http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

when they refur to severe cases of mange, they are talking about the infestation being so bad there is hardly any hair left in a large area or even all over the body.

Going to stop looking at mange articles now as its making my head itch (its like talking about fleas or lice).

I have successfully treated several goats for sarcoptic mange and it cleared up after a few weeks and regular treatment of ivormectin

Status
Not open for further replies.