• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What do you do with your piggie waste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Now I was wondering, what do you all do with your piggie waste?

As it is winter I'm going through three black bags a week, I usually put it in the green recycle garden waste bag but sometimes they don't collect it or they come on a day thats no scheduled and I end up with a smelly bag of piggie poop waste for two weeks or more mallethead...

Anyways I looked into recycled bin liners/ eco friendly ones at co-op/morrisions/tesco/asda and i did find some but they're around £5.50 for a pack of 20 :S and i really can't afford that!

So I was wondering what all you lovely cavy slaves do with your piggle waste, as i might get a few ideas :))

Thankies!

We have a bank at the front of our house that leads up to waste land. My dirty piggy hay ends up at the top of our garden rotting away on the waste land :red It eventually just rots in to the grass.

The wet shavings and newspaper end up in a black bin liner in our green bin so we are only using one bin liner instead of 2 a week because of the hay.

It annoys me as we have a brown bin for garden waste but we can't put the hay in there even though it is only dried grass ?/

We have a bank at the front of our house that leads up to waste land. My dirty piggy hay ends up at the top of our garden rotting away on the waste land :red It eventually just rots in to the grass.

The wet shavings and newspaper end up in a black bin liner in our green bin so we are only using one bin liner instead of 2 a week because of the hay.

It annoys me as we have a brown bin for garden waste but we can't put the hay in there even though it is only dried grass ?/

Hahaha I think my gardens too small to put my piggie waste in it....i think my family might notice and complain haha! Although it might make a nice 'arty' center feature piece :))

That makes no sense!, do they not know what hay is? Councils don't make sense sometimes! mallethead

Ours goes in a bin liner and goes with the household waste (brown bin) although sometimes the neighbour has it for his veggie patch.

We compost ours when possible and the rest goes in the normal bin. Trying to change to fleece t cut down the amount of waste we are producing.

all ours goes in the green garden waste sack! aslmong as theres not too much newspaper in there they take it :) x

we just put all ours in bin liners and it goes in the bin though we have to fight for space in our bin from the turkish and polish neighbours who do not seem to understand get your own bin :))

I might need to start findng an eco-friendly way of disposing piggy waste...I feel so bad now after reading all the other posts. I just put them all in trash bags and the trash collectors come once a week....:red:red

The bins only get collected here every 2 weeks :( So the bins get full really quickly. I have 4 hutches so it's hard to get rid of the waste. I used to seperate the woodshavings and the newspaper and put the newspaper in the bin and the woodshavings went in our garden at the back where there's loads of trees and bushes and it just rots into it.

I am getting a rabbit in April and that's another hutch, so I've changed 3 of my guinea-pig hutches onto vetbed. The girls can't go on vetbed because it's soaking wet within a day because there's so many of them and the vetbed won't dry in time for me to change it daily.

Our council do offer a graden waste collection every 2 weeks but only March/April until end of October yearly. We pay £30 for this and the council would not give me an answer on pet waste so asked the binmen and they say put dry newspapers in recycling bin, wet ones in grey landfill bin, and the hay/megazorb/shavings in garden waste.

Noticed lad next door who has 4 bunnies put about 6 black bags out once full of shavings/hay - binmen ripped it open and left them.

Anyway over winter I recycle what newspaper I can and black bag the hay/megazorb - my Dad does a tip run every 4-6 weeks for me and empties it in the garden waste skip at the tip. I just leave the black bags at the end of the garage until Dad goes to the tip.

I do 2 cleans a week on the hutches outside so get 2 black bags full a week. Monty inside is cleaned every 2-3 days fully but only a carrier bag at a time. Be so glad when the garden waste collection is back in 3 months time!

i put all my cage stuff in my green recycling/garden waste bin and its collected once a fortnight.

I emailed the council to ask what to do with it as i was struggling getting it all in my normal bin, they told me to bung it all in the green one.

Its always been collected when ive used shavings, magazorb or newspaper.

I only use new paper & hay now, it's cut the waste in half :)
We put it all in our green bin, which is collected fortnightly, if the bin gets too full we put it down on the compost heep.

Have you considdered using reusable bedding?

our garden waste bin states No Animal Waste in big letters! We use fleece so the poops just go into an Asda bag and into the main bin :(

As long as the waste is from vegitarian animals, which Squigles are, we can put all the waste in :S

I only use new paper & hay now, it's cut the waste in half :)
We put it all in our green bin, which is collected fortnightly, if the bin gets too full we put it down on the compost heep.

Have you considdered using reusable bedding?

I only use paper and hay too :) It's just that as it's winter and the boys are outside (in a shed) I'm going through so much waste to keep them warm and feed, and I have thought about fleece/ vet bed maybe I should look into it more...hmmm.... thankies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back