• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What do you keep your C&C cage on

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleEskimo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When my boyfriend and I move out I have to take my animals from my mums house and I was going to build my pig a C&C cage. But what do you keep them on? What height is best? Do guinea pigs tend to get more scared if kept closer to the ground (so you end up looking huge stood up next to them)

I keep mine on the ground. Well on top of correx sheets. They arn't bothered by it at all, I guess as long as they have a hidey house to run into if they did get scared?
I have the correx, in the bed area I have newspaper, then puppy pads and then fleece. In the rest of it I just put newspaper down which gets changed everyday and the rest gets cleaned and washed every other day... x

I have mine on the ground. My piggies dont seem bothered by the height, probably doesnt do my back any good leaning over to pick them up :))
But I've seen pics where people have used the grids as legs to hold it up

I was thinking of having them in the living room somewhere so when I'm relaxing watching tv I can sit with them and give them a cuddle. I was thinking of having them on top of C&C cubes. So a base of cubes that I could use for storage and stuff. Hidey places are a good idea ill make sure they have those :) thanks

Mines on the floor too (in our lounge), great for my son as he can sit next to the cage and easily reach them for hand feeding :)

Yeah I want to be able to sit on the floor next to them all nice and comfy and give them a stroke and a cuddle :) ill see how it goes

I have a base made of grids on mine so I put it onto 2 unused coffee tables rolleyes it is a great height & is perfect as they are at the same level when we are sitting down on our dining chairs. I used to keep our last lot of piggies in a cage on the floor but they would sometimes jump up & run into a corner if one of us made a sudden movement rolleyes

Now I have more grids I may make the underneath storage bit to rest the cage on.

There's a lady on here that uses ikea shelving units they are £30 each and fit a 2x5 on. ( You need two) I would love them but I've spent far too much on piggies allready

Oh £30 that's a maybe :)) Ill stick to basic old grids for now. I don't want them to be on the floor because I'm actually just afraid my boyfriend wont notice it and fall over it (hes a little like that) and I'm hoping if I just have that little extra height it wont happen plus me and my boyfriend wont look too tall to the piggies :)

If you can get to an Ikea this is what mine is a bit like :

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80111339/

The cage overhangs slightly but it is in a bay window so doesn't get knocked about. You have to have a base on your C & C to do this though. I used some of my grids, mine is a 5 x 2 but in a "T" shape, so I used 10 grids to make a base so it's more stable. Having them at this height is better for my back & also the piggies actually don't run away every time we move, they will come up & sniff our hands & take food from us when the food goes in etc, & we have only had them 6 weeks so we think it's great. :))

Have you seen Piggiepigpigs on Youtube? She originally had her cages on the floor, then she made grid bases, and now she has them on shelving units... she has some good videos though on how to make the grid bases if your interested.

They set them at a really nice height- if I had the spare grids I would def do it rolleyes

How to make a C&C cage base: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-OIHbfF6k[/ame]

Ikea shelving unit things: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05lB7ERdwH4[/ame]

Hope this helps you x>>

Oo yeah the first video is what I had in mind :) Because then I can store all of their food and treats etc underneath and they aren't sat to low on the floor. I have been looking around at places to rent to get an idea of it all and I'm just saying "Oh yeah the C&C cage could go there and the rabbit will be able to run around there and she can have a little house to sleep in there" I just concentrating on finding a nice home for the animals :))

DSCF3862.jpg

lol, I know what you mean about just trying to cater to your animals :))

Just saying, I would definitely go with the grid cage base, it looks FANTASTIC. I thing it's the perfect height off the ground and the storage is amazing... the only thing stopping me from building it is I have a 4x7 so I would need a lot of grids!rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back