• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What do you put on their cage floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joeychan

I've seen so many different materials for the bottom of the piggies cages and was wondering whats best. Currently I have sheets of newspaper on the bottom then a layer of meadow hay. I put some hay in theire house aswell.

Is this ok to do or should I try something else?

Right now I use CareFresh and newspaper. It works really well for me. In the past I've used newspaper with hay (like you do now) and towels. Both of those things worked well too as far as the piggies go, but they were bad for my allergies so I had to switch. What you are using is perfectly fine if it works well for you. Piggies love living in piles of food.

-kkat

I've tried wood chips, makes them sneeze a bit, paper shreds gets a bit soggy, carefresh, too small a bag.

Am just awaiting a delivery of Megazorb, so will let you know :D

I used wood chip but Misty has an allergy so then I used hay but it wasn't absorbent enough.. So the guy in the pet shop said I should try wooden cat litter pellets and it's been the best so far.

I don't really like wooden products like wood chip, shavings or cat litter pellets etc as they can cause respiratory problems and may aggravate skin problems.

Hay and papers is very good bedding. If you want something more absorbant there are things like Russell Rabbit bedding which is lovey soft chopped straw. Other options are megazorb, medibed and Aubiose which are all horse beddings.

Whatever bedding you use there needs to be fresh hay available for them at all times!

I have a huge bail of wood shavings that I use for the bottom of the hamster cage and was wondering if I could use these for the bottom of their cage. Reason I'm asking is that the new cage I'm building is 5ft x 2.5ft so a bag of hay won't last long.

Shavings alone is not recommended.

I have a bin liner, newspaper, small covering of shavings, hay and shredded paper.

Hay and Paper is just fine... perfectly safe for piggys and they love it. I you ae wanting something more absorbant that is still pig safe try megazorb- its a paper pulp product used for horse bedding you can get it in huge sacks from agricultural suppliers. I grabbed a phonebook hinking nobody would have it and the first place I rang did at just over £5 for a huge sack. So give it a go. Otherwise there are a few other safe absorbant things, carefresh, aubiose, vet bed (like fleecy bed).

I use plastic tray, large ones, reusable and easy to clean

Joeychan said:
I have a huge bail of wood shavings that I use for the bottom of the hamster cage and was wondering if I could use these for the bottom of their cage. Reason I'm asking is that the new cage I'm building is 5ft x 2.5ft so a bag of hay won't last long.

do like i do and buy your hay from a farm mines £3 a bale and last me ages and I do have 33 pigs in 2 sheds with hugh runs so need a hguh supply hubbys even built me a seperate shed for hay storage, on top of thick papers I get from locals mine are happy piggys

i was thinking of buying a bale (as long as I can find somewhere to keep it) but do you get problems with mites more than you would with petshop hay?

Personally where I live the baled hay is much better quality, than what I can buy in Petworld the last bagged hay I got was horrid and quite dusty.

didn't use it and took it back

at least the bale you can sniff before you buy haven't had anymore probs with mites

karen

never have any of mine had any problemns with mites except one pig who I brought and he already had them but ivomec got him clear, I have found a dead mouse in the hay but the good outways the odd mouse and would never use anything else, the pigs love it, no dust just sweet smelling fresh hay, you cant beat it

ugh! think that might put me off.

although my last bag of hay from the pet shop has been awful. so dusty and bitty.

I use newpaper and hay too for my piggies, also straw when I can get it and Bed Xcell on the bottom. It is like chopped cardboard and very absorbant. I have ponies so I have all these things anyway. I have never fouund anything dead in my hay yet but wil be watching out now, lol!

I use newspaper or sometimes the free papers that sainsburys have on the way out.. it seems a little thicker than ordinary newspaper... I then put shredded paper down sometimes, as they love to play in that and i use Hay.. I havent really had any problems from using PaH hay yet... :)

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back