• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What Do You Store Your Hay In ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
mine is in a plastic bag, that it came in. What do you store yours in and does it make any difference ?

A lot of shop bought hays that come in sealed plastic bags are dry enough to be kept in their original packaging. I get a lot of hay from hay for pets - this hay isn't damp but seems to have a natural "freshness" to it and needs to be stored in a breathable container.

You can store hay in anything that will let the air get to it . I have heard of the following being used ...

an old duvet
large cardboard box
wicker laundry basket.

I use these ...

not the cheapest option, but I have found a 4.5 kilo bale of INGS fits in nicely

A lot of shop bought hays that come in sealed plastic bags are dry enough to be kept in their original packaging. I get a lot of hay from hay for pets - this hay isn't damp but seems to have a natural "freshness" to it and needs to be stored in a breathable container.

You can store hay in anything that will let the air get to it . I have heard of the following being used ...

an old duvet
large cardboard box
wicker laundry basket.

I use these ...

not the cheapest option, but I have found a 4.5 kilo bale of INGS fits in nicely
I have one of those wash bags for the washing.. i have a small plastic storage tub that i put some hay into and leave inside ready to use..

I bought a laundry bag from poundland , I can get two ,three at a push kg in it but it doesn't stay full long!

I use the box that Charlie and Echo came home in from the rescue centre. It also means when I need to put them somewhere for a minute they're over the moon at going in the "box"! Lol

anything but plastic so the hay can breathe. i use a huge laundry wicker basket, cardboard boxes, and if i need even more room, then an old duvet cover, or breathable polyprop sacks that i've saved from previous timothyhay.co.uk orders. :)

right.. i need to get to the shops or get a pillow case out the airing cupboard then ! I have plenty of those...

Mines in the bag I get it XD It doesn't get mouldy or damp because the flaming bag has holes in it lol.

Might get a wicker wash basket though.

:D I keep my hay in the big plastic bag that it came in. As I keep my hay indoors I can leave the bag open so the hay can breathe.

We use a plastic bin with the flip open lids, its pretty deep and just allows the compressed hay we buy to breath and loosen up from being squashed in the bags they come in. Also you tend to find there's less mess getting the hay out of the bin container than the bags where it flings out and completely covers the floor = big waste. Hope this helps! Katie x

I keep mine I a wicker basket mainly because it looks nice, but also if the hay comes compressed I like to empty it into his loosely so it's easy to get out each day :)

Would a metal bin be ok? Kept inside? I have a small one and i know they do a bigger one...

Pic

Attachments

• 20150718_142304.jpg
    20150718_142304.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
I keep mine I a wicker basket mainly because it looks nice, but also if the hay comes compressed I like to empty it into his loosely so it's easy to get out each day :)
Can you post a pic.. i am after ideas x

I have hay4pets too and store it in the bag it comes in, but leave the bag open so it can air and not gather damp.

I keep it in the bag that it cames in too. I have it in a corner in the shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back