• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

what Hay is Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggywiggys

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wanted to know what hay is best? I'm soo confused with it all, one say this is good, other say its bad... so is meadow Hay good?

I brought meadow hay for my boars but they werent eating it so i went to the local shop and she gave me the hay that they bag up themselves, the boys love it!

The fresher and greener the better. Farm shops are a fantastic place to source hay, as they cut dry and bag it all themselves. It's not be vacuumd and press packed and stored for a long time. If you are buying from shops then try and find the greenest, longest hay you can find. This time of year though the hay is not as nice a quality and is oftena bit damp if freshly bought, you can suppliment your piggies diet with tiothy hay, oat hay and redi-grass which is all lovely, green fragrant stuff :)

thanks, but last time i got hay from the farm i found loads of little bugs everywhere? i didnt think that was right so i got shop hay that is compressed. they seem to like it but its not very green & more just brown..

My lot love the Timothy hay by Alfalfa King from Pets @ Home (unfortunately as I don't like shopping there!)

It is lovely & green, long & stalky so great for their teeth, they have it in hay racks to avoid any eye pokes. It is imported from the US so it's bug free as it's sterile. It's not that cheap, ( £8 a bag) but a bag lasts my 3 piggies 2 1/2 weeks & that's giving them unlimited amounts. :)

I buy tesco value hay - its actually nice

or I buy wilkinsons hay - I have 5 piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back