• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What Is The Best Option For Me And My Lonely Boar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna Zommer

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the forum but I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice on what's best to do in my situation.
I have recently lost my old friend Dale, over 4 year old boar. I found him in his bed on New Years Eve morning in his "forever sleep". It was really difficult to accept that he's gone. I still blame myself that maybe I missed something.

Now my 7-8 months old boar Dr Pepper is left alone. They didn't live together as i never even got the chance to introduce them. They lived in 2 floor (2x4 for each floor) c&c cage. I have a spare floor and I am thinking of adopting either a bonded pair of males or neutering Dr Pepper and adopting a female to live with him. I have never tried Dr Pepper with other males but I have a feeling that he is a bit cheeky and have dominant personality as even as a baby he was fighting with his brothers. Could you please advise on what would be best to do? Do you think a pair of bonded adult males could live happily in 2x4 cage, of course with a lot of floor time every day? At the same time if I got t Dr Pepper neutered and live with the girl would the adopted boys fight cos they could smell a female living nearby? I would really appreciate your advice as I don't want to rush to anything but I would love to give some unwanted guinea pigs a forever home.

I am so sorry for your loss. You are welcome to post a tribute in the rainbow bridge section.

With guinea pigs you cannot just put two together and hope they bond. They need to be a match in personality. I would take your little one to your nearest rescue were they can try him with other boars until he meets a match. If you were to try this a few times and for it not to work out then you could consider neutering and finding him a sow friend. Trios of boars do not work out so I would concentrate on finding him a friend. Your cage meets minimum requirements so with floor time that will work. This will help you find the nearest rescue,
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Thank you for you advice. The only problem is that I have found only 1 rescue near me that I could get to (I don't drive) and they rarely have guinea pigs for adoption. Also Their requirement is to have a hutch and 4ftx4ft run attached to it. I know that's ideal for the piggies in the summer but I don't want to keep my piggies outside and inside I can only offer them lots of floor time to compensate for bigger space.

Oh really? What a shame. I had trouble with a rescue too once as I don't have a garden. Some rescues have different rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back