What is the minimum temperature?

Qualcast&Flymo

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I've had a look for stickies or old threads to answer my question, but not been able to find anything.

Can anyone tell me what is the minimum safe temperature for my piggies to be kept in?
They are in a hutch in a brick outbuilding, with the hutch snuggle and waterproof cover over it, and also a fleece towel hanging over most of the front under the clear waterproof screen. The temperature Inside the hutch is several degrees higher than the outdoor (garden) temperature - my thermometer is hanging inside the hutch door, maybe the temperature in the middle of the hutch might be a bit warmer.
Last night it was 13 degrees at midnight, 11.5 degree in the morning. It's obviously going to get colder in the coming weeks, so at what temperature do I say it is not warm enough for them and bring them inside? They have fleece snuggle sacks etc, 2 hay trays/boxes and 2 heat pads plus a 3rd heat mat should arrive today.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Really you wont want them exposed to much less than 15 degrees. They are most comfortable at around 18-20 degrees.
Mine live in a hutch in my shed, so like yours, it is warmer in there than in the garden . If it is between 10 and 15 inside their hutch, then I am taking action (heat pad, hutch covers etc) to warm it up. If I can’t keep the temperature above 10, they’ll definitely come indoors.

eileen

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
my piggies that are outside stay out all year round .if it is snowing or below freezing then i try to bring them into the shed.i do everything i can to keep them warm.

Qualcast&Flymo

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Really you wont want them exposed to much less than 15 degrees. They are most comfortable at around 18-20 degrees.
Mine live in a hutch in my shed, so like yours, it is warmer in there than in the garden . If it is between 10 and 15 inside their hutch, then I am taking action (heat pad, hutch covers etc) to warm it up. If I can’t keep the temperature above 10, they’ll definitely come indoors.
Thank you, that is roughly in line with what I was thinking. I hope temperatures won't go lower than yesterday for a while, and I'll continue with the heat pads at night also. I'm hoping to get the outbuilding insulated in October which will help keep it warmer and also make it more worthwhile putting an oil-filled radiator in there on cooler nights.
Think I'll also try moving the temp sensor to see if it's warmer away from the doors.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Our rabbits are outside and I put the temp sensor in their bedroom which is definitely the warmest part of the hutch.
I figure if they are cold they can go in there so I always know the temperature of the warmest place in the hutch.