• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What is this? Fungal?

weepweeps

Senior Guinea Pig
Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Long story coming up. Sorry but I want you to have as much info as possible.

I was sat with Pepper, who is only 4 months old, this evening and noticed that he had a very white scaly ear and also a patch by his eye. His ears are black so it was quite noticeable. It definitely wasn’t there yesterday because I cuddle them every day. I will get pictures tomorrow.

My heart sank because I lost a piggy last October (Pippin 🌈 who was about this age) who had something like this too. I did take Pippin to the vets and will be calling them in the morning to get Pepper in. They thought Pippin had a bacterial infection and prescribed Isathal eye drops/cream. I used it for about a week but the patches got bigger and started to appear in other places (back of neck, chest, ear) so I went back to vets and they prescribed Betafuse cream. Again I applied this for a few days. But it didn’t seem to be working either. Throughout all this he was eating and gaining weight and seemed himself. Then he took a turn for the worse. On the Friday evening he looked uncomfortable when trying to sit and wasn’t himself. I got him in at the vets first thing Saturday morning. All she did was look at his privates and told me to clean them for the next few days. So that evening I did and then he looked really ill. I called the out of hours vet and asked for something for him because I really thought he would die. They prescribed cat pain killers which I gave him Saturday night. Sunday morning he had passed away. So quick. I don’t know what was wrong with him. The breeder I got him off just said “oh guinea pigs just die sometimes”. Which I don’t agree with. She wanted me to get another one for his cage mate Percy but I thought it was too soon.

Then I changed my mind and got Pepper. So I’m really worried that he is now showing the same illness and will die.

This was Pippin

9BD519B7-C4B3-4F0E-91E4-654C875B6743.jpeg

Do you think it was bacterial? They didn’t send off any samples. They looked at it under the microscope but couldn’t see parasites. I’m worried the vets will get it wrong again tomorrow with Pepper.

Thank you.BA92AF0A-E6D6-4FB2-B096-F700B8740DFA.jpeg

Hello everyone,

Long story coming up. Sorry but I want you to have as much info as possible.

I was sat with Pepper, who is only 4 months old, this evening and noticed that he had a very white scaly ear and also a patch by his eye. His ears are black so it was quite noticeable. It definitely wasn’t there yesterday because I cuddle them every day. I will get pictures tomorrow.

My heart sank because I lost a piggy last October (Pippin 🌈 who was about this age) who had something like this too. I did take Pippin to the vets and will be calling them in the morning to get Pepper in. They thought Pippin had a bacterial infection and prescribed Isathal eye drops/cream. I used it for about a week but the patches got bigger and started to appear in other places (back of neck, chest, ear) so I went back to vets and they prescribed Betafuse cream. Again I applied this for a few days. But it didn’t seem to be working either. Throughout all this he was eating and gaining weight and seemed himself. Then he took a turn for the worse. On the Friday evening he looked uncomfortable when trying to sit and wasn’t himself. I got him in at the vets first thing Saturday morning. All she did was look at his privates and told me to clean them for the next few days. So that evening I did and then he looked really ill. I called the out of hours vet and asked for something for him because I really thought he would die. They prescribed cat pain killers which I gave him Saturday night. Sunday morning he had passed away. So quick. I don’t know what was wrong with him. The breeder I got him off just said “oh guinea pigs just die sometimes”. Which I don’t agree with. She wanted me to get another one for his cage mate Percy but I thought it was too soon.

Then I changed my mind and got Pepper. So I’m really worried that he is now showing the same illness and will die.

This was Pippin

View attachment 164019

Do you think it was bacterial? They didn’t send off any samples. They looked at it under the microscope but couldn’t see parasites. I’m worried the vets will get it wrong again tomorrow with Pepper.

Thank you.View attachment 164018

Hi

Please take the time to carefully read our ringworm guide. you should find it extremely helpful because it is the most comprehensive and practical information on this subject available. Since it has taken me several days to write the guide and make sure that it is as complete, clear and detailed as possible, we cannot repeat everything in every post and rely in on our members to read any further in-debth information themselves. but you are dealing with a fungal and not a bacterial infection.

You may want to bookmark the link as you likelt be using it for the next 2-3 weeks: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

I would recommend to look for a vets with more experience in guinea pigs. Vet appointments (like any medical appointments) are a legitimate reason for travelling out of your immediate neighbourhood.
Vet Locator

I will add we got Pepper from a different breeder.

The vets I took Pippin to was the one on there. I’ll call them in the morning. Thank you for your comments. I’ll have a read of the guides and let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Definitely read the guide above. I’m currently treating for ringworm and the advice on here, plus treatment from the vet is working wonders. It’s a pain, but you can get on top of it (I even ended up with it myself)

I had a vet video call today as they are only seeing emergencies today. I took some pictures and a video so the vet could see what was going on. He said he thinks it is mites and has prescribed xeno for both piggies as Percy was scratching a bit too. Three treatments each two weeks apart. So fingers crossed it works. I will do the first treatment tomorrow morning and clean their cage out too. Wash blankets etc.... not sure if I have to throw away cardboard hides?

I had a vet video call today as they are only seeing emergencies today. I took some pictures and a video so the vet could see what was going on. He said he thinks it is mites and has prescribed xeno for both piggies as Percy was scratching a bit too. Three treatments each two weeks apart. So fingers crossed it works. I will do the first treatment tomorrow morning and clean their cage out too. Wash blankets etc.... not sure if I have to throw away cardboard hides?
Xeno is indeed the correct treatment for mites and should be done in 3 doses spaced 2 weeks apart.
But are you sure the vet was experienced with guinea pigs?
Did the subject of fungal come up at all?

I am not a vet and obviously can't diagnose based on a picture, but having dealt with both mites and fungal I would say that definitely needs a skin scraping to rule out fungal.

Xeno is indeed the correct treatment for mites and should be done in 3 doses spaced 2 weeks apart.
But are you sure the vet was experienced with guinea pigs?
Did the subject of fungal come up at all?

I am not a vet and obviously can't diagnose based on a picture, but having dealt with both mites and fungal I would say that definitely needs a skin scraping to rule out fungal.
:agr: couldn't agree more!

The pictures above are of pippin who passed away in October. I haven’t got clear ones for pepper yet. I did say was he sure it wasn’t fungal and he said if the drops didn’t work he’d go down the fungal route.

This is the clearest picture of Peppers ear. You can just see a white patch.066616B9-D4DA-4754-9CAC-DA16E9554E34.jpeg

Morning all. Pepper and Percy seem to be much happier from having had the xeno. They seem a bit more relaxed so that’s good. Is there anything I can put on peppers ear while it’s healing? The hair has fallen out and his skin looks thick and scaly. Maybe some sort of oil or moisturiser?

Thank you everyone for all of your help and comments. Not just from me but from all of us novice piggy owners who appreciate you all taking the time out of your lives to answer so many of our questions. ♥️

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for the skin to return to normal after mites. Thank you

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for the skin to return to normal after mites. Thank you
It varies depending on severity and how much damage has been done. Took my boys about 2 weeks. But I've heard of it taking as little as 1 week, or as long as a month.

Thank you. It’s not a huge patch. So hopefully not too long then.

I’ve now invested in F10SC disinfectant. It doesn’t mention mites on the bottle so I hope it will help anyway. I’m going to use the high level disinfection which is 4ml in 1 litre. I’m throwing all cardboard boxes away and disinfecting everything else the day I treat them with the xeno. Washing all blankets/towels and hides. It says not to rinse and leave to dry. Will it be safe on the wooden hutch if they nibble it? I’m assuming it should be fine as it is pet safe. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Quick update. They have had their second dose of xeno. Pepper’s eye area looks good. Can’t see any white flaky skin and I think the hair is starting to grow back. It’s hard to tell because it’s black fur on black skin. Lol. So that has taken two weeks. His ear is looking a bit better but still dry and scaly so I’m hoping it will continue to improve with this second dose. As with the first dose I’ve cleaned all bedding and hutch with F10 and thrown all cardboard hides away. Still got another dose in two weeks time.

Quick update - Had their third dose of Xeno yesterday. Pepper’s ear is still not back to normal yet. Better, but I can still see white skin if I move his fur. I will leave it another two weeks for the treatment to work and then call the vets if I still think it hasn’t cleared up completely. I would have thought it would be back to normal by now? All cardboard hides thrown away and all material items washed. Hutch cleaned with F10. Fingers crossed this is the last round of Xeno.

Back