• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What is this purple plant growing in my lawn?

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone 👋

Does anyone know what this plant is and if it's safe for piggies? It's growing in my lawn and the leaves are getting bigger and I'm worried it's going to spread all over the grass. I've been avoiding it for ages but it means there's less grass for the piggies run to be moved around on. Does anyone know if it's safe?
Thanks 🙂

IMG_20200704_154213957.jpg

Bugle, my piggies avoid it, it speads by runners. Keep pulling it up when you see it.

It's not bugle (ajuga) it's viola labridorica and mostly spread by seed - but it does get everywhere. As several types of violas, like pansies and violets, are edible for humans, I'm pretty sure that they are ok. I have a lot in my grass and it's available for the piggies but my lot tend not to eat it.

Thanks everyone I was googling and nothing like it was coming up! So it's safe to put the run there? I'll start trying to pull them up before they get even further across the grass too

I've recently been using a phone app to identify plants I don't recognise. My neighbour told me about them when I was wondering about the vine that is infesting some of my hedge. The one I use seems pretty good at recognising the plants I've tried so far. ( the stuff in the hedge turned out to be hops!)

What app are you using? I tried plantsnap but it never came up with results that actually look like the plant so I uninstalled it

What app are you using? I tried plantsnap but it never came up with results that actually look like the plant so I uninstalled it
The one I'm using is PlantNet. It usually shows you several similar looking plants.
I took a picture of a creeper on my house that I had thought was wisteria until orange buds appeared, it came back with images of some Chinese Trumpet Creepers. I'm not sure exactly which one it is, but that gives me enough to go on for a proper search on my pc.

Back