What is this weed and can the piggies eat it?

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
There is a lot of this in my yard, does anyone know what it is and if it is safe for piggies to eat?
4F227B01-BA31-42DB-A9E3-5743EC63EA27.jpeg

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
They look a bit like wild violets, but these normally like pretty moist soil that isn't in full sun all day, so a lot will depend on the area they are growing in.

What I would say is that I would always assume that something isn't safe for piggies if you have any doubts about what it is.

Sparklepetal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes you have a variety of violet there but there are leaves of something else growing among them too. Humans can eat violet flowers but I don't know about piggies. Probably best to just enjoy the fact that bees and other insects will benefit and leave them ungrazed by the guineas!

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Look like dog violets to me, not sure if they are alright for piggies to eat though, probably wouldn’t risk it, although they seem to know what they can eat, mine always leave buttercups in the lawn, won’t touch them and they are poisonous x

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Yes you have a variety of violet there but there are leaves of something else growing among them too. Humans can eat violet flowers but I don't know about piggies. Probably best to just enjoy the fact that bees and other insects will benefit and leave them ungrazed by the guineas!
It’s a buffet for the bees in my yard with the clover flowers, dandelions, and now these! Most of my neighbors have their lawns treated and are very meticulous about their yards, they probably frown upon us. I’m sure they love the big piggy runs I put in the front yard and the kids bikes everywhere too.

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I guess I’ll just put the piggies on the other side without the purple flowers.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s a buffet for the bees in my yard with the clover flowers, dandelions, and now these! Most of my neighbors have their lawns treated and are very meticulous about their yards, they probably frown upon us. I’m sure they love the big piggy runs I put in the front yard and the kids bikes everywhere too.
I am sure my neigbours feel exactly the same - huge metal runs everywhere (we have permanant outdoor rabbits), unmown, weed filled lawn, and garish pots filled with wildflowers all over the place (I also have pet bees). We have the scruffiest garden in the street!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Don't worry about the neighbours. A clean house and a tidy garden are signs that other people have nothing better to do. This is what I have hung up in my kitchen.....

IMG_5458.JPG

And my flower borders are covered in weeds. My excuse is I'm cultivating them for my piggies!

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Don't worry about the neighbours. A clean house and a tidy garden are signs that other people have nothing better to do. This is what I have hung up in my kitchen.....

View attachment 110997

And my flower borders are covered in weeds. My excuse is I'm cultivating them for my piggies!
I need that sign in my house!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Bill and Ted say there’s nothing wrong with a few dandelions, tasty ❤
Betsy had her front feet up on the wire of the hutch this morning for the first time wanting her dandelion breakfast this morning. Now that she hasn't got Velvet to tell her how to behave she can be the rebel she always wanted to be! :)

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Betsy had her front feet up on the wire of the hutch this morning for the first time wanting her dandelion breakfast this morning. Now that she hasn't got Velvet to tell her how to behave she can be the rebel she always wanted to be! :)
Aw, I’m so pleased they have all settled and both Dennis and Betsy can be as rebellious as they want 🤣

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Looks like violet to me too,
My girls love these apple & pansy hearts as treats. Try emailing the manufacturers Rosewood & see if they can help? I have a couple of books at home I'll see if they mention violet's as well as pansies. I think they're from the same plant family, but would check before u give them any.

Apple & Pansy Nibble Hearts 6pc :: Rosewood Pet
X