• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What is this?

Ellenb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a 6 week old guinea pig that has a lot of crust on top of her eye and has lost fur in the area. What could this be? Help

Attachments

• 83524-27fe8481a2912877db0bbde912ece5c9.jpg
    83524-27fe8481a2912877db0bbde912ece5c9.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 10
I have a 6 week old guinea pig that has a lot of crust on top of her eye and has lost fur in the area. What could this be? 83524-27fe8481a2912877db0bbde912ece5c9.jpg

Your new piggy could be stressed out- stress can result in hair loss. The best thing to do is take her to the local exotic vet, and get antibiotics for her eye and a check up to find out what could be causing the hair loss.

It's impossible to say for sure, but I would suspect some kind of fungal infection. She will need to be assessed by a vet for some sort of treatment (mostly like a shot, as it can be difficult or harmful to put a topical treatment that close to the eye.) In the meantime, practice really good handwashing, as some fungal infections, like ringworm, can spread between pigs and other pigs and between pigs and humans. It will also be necessary to clean and sterilize the cage very well to prevent reinfection once treated.

Agree with freela, it does look like it could be a fungal infection. She will need to see a vet. If it is fungal then you will need an appropriate treatment to get rid of it as well as a good disinfectant like F10 that will kill the fungal spores in the cage. You need to keep a check on any cage mates as they may catch it and need treatment too. If you have recently purchased this piggy from a pet store please inform the store and depending on when you purchased they may need to pay any vets bills for you.

Your new piggy could be stressed out- stress can result in hair loss. The best thing to do is take her to the local exotic vet, and get antibiotics for her eye and a check up to find out what could be causing the hair loss.

It is unlikely that stress has caused hair loss like this. As the piggy is only 6 weeks old it's likely to be a recent purchase so the chances of fungal infection or mites would be much more likely and unfortunately antibiotics would do nothing to treat fungal, mites or stress but I agree a knowledgeable vet is needed to check the exact cause before trying to treat.

Just found that you had posted this twice so merged the threads for you so all responses are in one place

It all depends on what vet you use and what the problem is. To give you an idea my vets charge £34 per consultation plus any meds required. You could always phone around some vets local to you to find out:-

a) whether they have experience in treating guinea pigs first (this is very important as a lot of them don't) and
b) how much it'll cost

Have a look at the Vet Locator above to see if there is one local to you. This is not an exhaustive list just the vets that have been recommended by members. My local Vets4Pets is very good but some of them aren't.

Where are you located @Ellenb ?
If you can’t find anything on the vet locator you may get recommendations from members who know local vets.
Costs can vary.
My vet charges £18.60 for a consultation and then meds on top if required.

The others are all right - the sooner you can get to a vet the better

I live in the uk. Would it be a reasonable price to see a vet?

@Ellenb You would need to ring a few vets to find out how much they charge as it cam vary.

A fungal issue won't go away on it's own so it needs a vet to intervene.

Unfortunately part of owning pets is having to pay for vet visits. It"s worth starting to save a little each week to cover them.

@Ellenb You would need to ring a few vets to find out how much they charge as it cam vary.

A fungal issue won't go away on it's own so it needs a vet to intervene.

Unfortunately part of owning pets is having to pay for vet visits. It"s worth starting to save a little each week to cover them.
Great idea jaycey, saving a little each week is a good idea

@Ellenb where are you located? We may be able to suggest a vet.

Back