• Forum upgrade on Monday May 17th. The forum will be unavailable for some time during this

What Kind Of Veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irene

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A couple of months ago my 1.5 year old Cinnamon had a GI issue with diarrhea she was put on flagyl and did well but seems to have developed a sensitivity to veggies where gets soft poos if too much given. So I have only been giving her a small amount of romaine lettuce every day and am concerned that she might not be getting what she needs. She eats her hay and pellets fine. She is small only weights about 1 pound 6 ounces. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
sounds like you will need to introduce anything new very very slowly. the gut can take a while to rebalance again after an episode like that.

you could try giving her a probiotic for now (something like avipro plus) and making sure she eats as much hay as possible. meadow and timothy if possible.

then go with more gut friendly foods, so i wouldn't do anything gassy for now, and nothing too sugary either. perhaps something like herbs, in particular coriander/cilantro. herbs seem to suit piggies with sensitive tummy issues.

do you have access to grass? if so, i'd introduce this very very slowly and see how she copes.

even without fresh foods, hay and grass contain vitamin c so she will be getting what she needs if you can feed a variety of these. that should help in the meantime :)

just make sure you go extra slowly with any changes, one at a time for aslong as it takes to be sure she can tolerate it, and see how she gets on :)

just incase it helps - my mollie is currently only allowed grass based hays (mainly meadow and timothy), fresh grass and lettuces because of her bladder. i always worry about lack of variety but sometimes it's just how they are. my rabbit bisc is super sensitive and can only tolerate one fresh food now. thankfully he eats alot of hay! :)

Lilly

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I believe flagyl is a type of anti-biotic so pro-biotics are needed. Did you give her any pro-biotics about 1 to 1.5 hours after an antibiotic? If not perhaps you should give her a one or two weeks worth of that. Also 50mg of chewable vitamin C tablets, given once a day, would help with the lack vegies. I don't believe hay has vitamin C although perhaps your piggy's pellets have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.