• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What made you choose your Guinea Pigs names?

I mostly have ancient Greek/Roman god(dess) type theme going.

Jupiter- he's the dad of 2 babies so thought either Zeus or Jupiter. He has a couple of red patches on him like the planet. So Jupiter it was.

Eileithyia-Eris- Eileithyia being the goddess of labour pains and birth, Eris being the goddess of chaos. As she came to me pregnant, I felt it fitting.

Dysnomia- the daughter of Eris (also in Greek mythology). She's the demon goddess of lawlessness and my Mia is a law to herself. Seriously doesn't care will do what she what's when she wants.

Apollo- god of music and dance (amongst other things). Even at a few days old he was wheeking and pop-corning. Like he was singing and dancing. Still the same now a year on.

Basil- he's a rex and the first thing my mum said was he looks like a brush, why don't you call him basil brush?

Cyril- rhymes with squirrel. He looks like a squirrel and red like a squirrel.

Originally Eileithyia-Eris was called Oreo as she is black and white. Jupiter was originally called Chunk as he was dwarfed by Eris. Literally chunk sized. When I realised that Eris (formerly Oreo) was pregnant, I changed the names to something more fitting and the babies followed suit.
👍Although you didn't choose the names to fit your theme, Basil and Cyril are actually names from Greek too - Basil means "kingly" from the Greek word for a king 'basileus' and Cyril means "lordly ".
(A St Cyril was one of the Greek saints who took Christianity to Russia and also gave his name to the Russian alphabet, Cyrillic)

👍Although you didn't choose the names to fit your theme, Basil and Cyril are actually names from Greek too - Basil means "kingly" from the Greek word for a king 'basileus' and Cyril means "lordly ".
(A St Cyril was one of the Greek saints who took Christianity to Russia and also gave his name to the Russian alphabet, Cyrillic)
How interesting. Thanks for letting me know. 😊

I just adopted the cheeky girls from Cavy Corner and changed both their names....Lucille has been so named because when she was facing off with Ruby over who would be top pig she put her back feet wide apart and really rocked when rumblestrutting! So named after the Little Richard song. Lola took the name because she has 'feathers' in her hair and a black/white body that looks like a 'dress cut down to there' from the back/side. There is never a theme really, the piggys choose their own names after you've watched them for a while.

I pick a theme each year,so l will know the year the piggies came to me, trees , shrubs, flowers, herbs, berries this year is spices, Ginger and All-spice are this year's two. And their name has to suit them.

I have also name themes within my Welsh names going on. My different breeds mostly start with different letters, but I also have group themes - traditional names/Saints, rulers and mythical persons; wildflowers; native birds and wildlife; endearments; traits (looks or character) and similar sounding Welsh names to existing names. Some names are a bit of a compromise. But all names have to suit the piggy.

So far, only four piggies have kept their names, 3 boars who already had a Welsh name when I adopted them (Llewelyn, Dylan and Alan) and 7 years old bereaved Calli (anagram of lilac), who came here to live out her life after she spent half a year here as a building nightmare emergency boarder together with her then companions a couple of years earlier.

This is such a lovely interesting thread.
My boars Bobby ( is a white Abyssinian ) and named after Bobby Moore the West Ham and England footballer
Geoff (Ginger piggy) is named after Geoff Hurst , another West Ham and England footballer.

Can you guess I’m a West Ham fan ? 😂

I have kids, so they had a lot to do with the naming.
Linney Cupcake: Linney was the guinea pig in WonderPets, which my middle child was OBSESSED with at the time. Cupcake... who knows the mind of a small child?

Frenzy Popcorn: Frenzy from Transformers, Popcorn because my son thought if Linney had a middle name after food she should have one too, and she used to popcorn a lot, she was really excitable!

Sundae Vanilla: Sundae because my kids thought her white and tan coloring looked like ice cream, Vanilla to go with the food middle name them and because (for some unknown reason) the pet store rubbed her over with something that smelled vanilla-ish when we bought her?

Hadley Cupcake: She was actually really easy to name... my kids had her named by the time we got to the car! My son at the time was a huge fan of the movie Aliens, the name of the colony in that movie is Hadley's Hope and he named her after that. We decided to pay forward middle names in honor of the pig who came before them, so she got Cupcake to remember Linney by.

Leela Vanilla: After Hadley we decided it would be fun if we did theme naming and gave them all sci fi/horror names. Leela is after Leela from Futurama, and
Vanilla is to remember Sundae by because she was the pig we got after Sundae.

Tomie Cupcake-Popcorn: Tomie took forever to name because the kids could NOT agree. Decided to keep the sci-fi/horror thing going and went with Tomie after the title character of Junji Ito's horror manga (it's pronounced Toe-me-eh, not Tommy! LOL!) Cupcake for Linney, and as my son pointed out that Frenzy never got her middle name passed down because we started that tradition later on, Tomie ended up with a hyphenated middle name in memory of Frenzy, plus the traditional Cupcake as she came after Hadley.

Now that I write all this out, I think my family takes these guinea pig names WAY too seriously! LOL!

I have kids, so they had a lot to do with the naming.
Linney Cupcake: Linney was the guinea pig in WonderPets, which my middle child was OBSESSED with at the time. Cupcake... who knows the mind of a small child?

Frenzy Popcorn: Frenzy from Transformers, Popcorn because my son thought if Linney had a middle name after food she should have one too, and she used to popcorn a lot, she was really excitable!

Sundae Vanilla: Sundae because my kids thought her white and tan coloring looked like ice cream, Vanilla to go with the food middle name them and because (for some unknown reason) the pet store rubbed her over with something that smelled vanilla-ish when we bought her?

Hadley Cupcake: She was actually really easy to name... my kids had her named by the time we got to the car! My son at the time was a huge fan of the movie Aliens, the name of the colony in that movie is Hadley's Hope and he named her after that. We decided to pay forward middle names in honor of the pig who came before them, so she got Cupcake to remember Linney by.

Leela Vanilla: After Hadley we decided it would be fun if we did theme naming and gave them all sci fi/horror names. Leela is after Leela from Futurama, and
Vanilla is to remember Sundae by because she was the pig we got after Sundae.

Tomie Cupcake-Popcorn: Tomie took forever to name because the kids could NOT agree. Decided to keep the sci-fi/horror thing going and went with Tomie after the title character of Junji Ito's horror manga (it's pronounced Toe-me-eh, not Tommy! LOL!) Cupcake for Linney, and as my son pointed out that Frenzy never got her middle name passed down because we started that tradition later on, Tomie ended up with a hyphenated middle name in memory of Frenzy, plus the traditional Cupcake as she came after Hadley.

Now that I write all this out, I think my family takes these guinea pig names WAY too seriously! LOL!
The WonderPets was the cutest show! My kids love the guinea pig too!

Love reading these stories!

Our newest girl Peggy is our 6th piggie and first to have been named by us. All my others were named by the shelter, or by previous owner and we never thought to change them.

Peggy is from Hamilton the musical,
which my kids and I were obsessed with!

First we were looking for a young pig to adopt and joked that if we found 3 girls, we could name them Angelica, Eliza, and Peggy.

Shortly after that, we found a baby in need of a home and the owners were calling her Heather, which I really didn't like as a name, but since her color is heather grey and white, I didn't consider Heather to be her real name, and Peggy just stuck.

Actually, it was very bad luck to give her a name right away because the adoption almost fell through and I felt terrible because I loved the name and if we didn't end up bringing her home, it would still be HER name. Luckily in the end it worked out but I'll never do that again!

FFDAC404-A3F8-4D8A-A6C7-B92819CF4499.jpeg

Was it named after the Pokémon too? :)
Sure was! I feel like we'll end up with a lot of anime names for pets in the future... my kids are really into manga and anime. We already have Tomie (manga character) and Sumire the hamster (Persona video game.)

Sure was! I feel like we'll end up with a lot of anime names for pets in the future... my kids are really into manga and anime. We already have Tomie (manga character) and Sumire the hamster (Persona video game.)
Haha the same with my piggies.
Yugi, Joey, Tristan and Duke are from yugioh and eevee is Pokémon :)

Apart from my first guinea pig Connie who we adopted from a colleague of my husbands who’s children had lost interest but requested that we keep her name, all my piggies begin with the letter E and my husband named them all. We’ve had Eleanor (Ellie for short), Eliza, Erin; Ena, Enoch, Emma, Erika and Ellen. We currently have Edward, Elizabeth, Ella and Esme

Back