• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What made you want....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavies

Hi,
I have a question for all.
What made you decide that you wanted guinea piggies?

nina :D

their cute lil fluffy faces and piggy smiles,oh and the wheeking

we've had rabbits before and some were nasty,they boring kinda ( sorry to anyone whos got a rabbit) piggies are just damn hilarious and they seem to smile all the time too

If I am honest - I didn't want one! My little brother decided he wanted a guinea pig after watching Dr Dolittle and named it Rodney (even though it was a sow!). In typical child fashion, my Mum did everything because my brother was bored after about 10 minutes. I used to go out there and talk to little Rodney and she soon learnt the sound of my footsteps and would wheek at me. I fell in love with her and started doing more and more and my Mum less and less. This was when I was in my last year of school but then I managed to get a part time job so I bought a book on guinea pigs and learnt more about them. I then saved up to get Rodney a friend and built them a run.... It kind of grew from there really!

Wouldn't be without piggys now.... and whilst the passing of every piggy has always been awful, I was devastated when Rodney died aged 5 years old.....I have pictures of all my bridge piggys up in my shed and probably about 6 pictures of Rodney!

Aaaaaw! I have to admitte this Beaney, I too watched Dr Dolittle and have fallen in love with those cute guinea piggie faces. Although I have been wanting a new pet for a while now. I will not jump in straight away. I need to do more reseaarch and stuff like that.
:)

I didnt want one - was happy keeping rabbits.

but then I found out neighbours were keeping a single piggy in AWFUL conditions, and I offered to take it in... well, and it went from there. ;)

i had one as a kid, then my son had one (hes 18 now) ,but never had time or space to be serious about them......... then about 8 yrs ago i was off work for 8m after surgery & got into my animals again, started off with rescue hamsters & the lady i got 4 from had some piggies.i was hooked ::) everything about them appealed to me.............i know have (shhhhhh) 67, over 30 of which are rescued ;)

cavies said:
Aaaaaw! I have to admitte this Beaney, I too watched Dr Dolittle and have fallen in love with those cute guinea piggie faces. Although I have been wanting a new pet for a while now. I will not jump in straight away. I need to do more reseaarch and stuff like that.
:)

It is a fab film and the piggy in it is gorgeous, so don't blame you on that - but despite what the film shows, piggys do not sing if you strap them to the roof of your car! ;D :D I think it may have been the 'Chris Rock' aspect of Rodney that my little brother wanted, therefore the real thing was slightly disappointing for him!

It is good that you are doing all the research first. Giving them good care from day one can save you so many problems later on!

I just seemed to have always had them in my life, think the first was a rescue, that one got me hooked and have had them ever since, over 36 years

bramble said:
i had one as a kid, then my son had one (hes 18 now) ,but never had time or space to be serious about them......... then about 8 yrs ago i was off work for 8m after surgery & got into my animals again, started off with rescue hamsters & the lady i got 4 from had some piggies.i was hooked ::) everything about them appealed to me.............i know have (shhhhhh) 67, over 30 of which are rescued ;)

how long does it take you when you have to clean the cages / hutches? :)

I've always wanted rabbits so got one, then two, this year but my son wanted his own pet, so I thought of a guinea pig. Well as usual his interest lasted about 3 days so I took over and, having never even held a guinea pig before, I fell in love with him. Someone contacted me via a pm who lives near me and she got me into rescuing, so I now have two rescues, and she also had some longhaired ones - once I'd held one of them I knew I had to get one, so two more came along.

I absolutely love my buns, but the guineapigs seem to need me more than the rabbits do. I love seeing the buns cuddled up together but they're not keen on being held or anything whereas the piggies talk to me constantly and are 'company' for me and I love brushing the longhaired girls and generally caring for them.

Aaaaaaaw! You just made my heart melt...teehee! It reminds me of the time that I worked in a pet shop. This gorgoeus boy guinea piggie came in, I held him and right away he made my heart melt. I wanted to take him home but at the time I could not. So I had to leave it :( I think I am getting that "Oh so special love" back for guinea piggies...Hehe! ;D

I'm not sure rea;lly, I used to think they were boring and unhandlable...then I just kinda got into them, not sure how. Wanted one for months.

Always wanted them. Rabbits weren't very friendly.

Then two years ago I was really ill and it seemed the right time to get some and they helped me get better. :)

We had piggies as kids - well mum had them and we were encouraged to help. She loved their lips and the ease at which they can be handled compared to rabbits. She was a really good parent when it came to the animal thing but not letting us do stuff with the animals - clever really as it made us want to do more!

Our first one was one who I posted about recently who I lost down the foundations of the house they were building. Then came more & more! I asked her recently why we always has scabby Guinea Pigs & she smiled & said "well after a month they weren't scabby were they?" so she was as bad as some of us here & brought/rescued the poorley ones from the local pet shop & got them better again! This is why I always remember us having baby pigs in the house because they came to us pregnant.

So I suppose this is the reason I love piggies - I was brought up with them :)

I didn't!

A friend in the village had some piggy-babies and she had got homes for all the little girls but not the boys -  :'(  So our daughters pleaded with us to let them adopt two brothers.

And that was it! Two little faces looking up at me, wheeking, climbing up the bars of their cage - who could resist?

well coz the people who we was fiends with who lived over the raod went o nhoilday and we looked after there 2 girl ones what there had and a few weeks later there where moving down south and said i could keep them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back