• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What Others Think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've always known some people may never understand my love for guinea pigs. But today a friend said something that really got me thinking.
A girl who is in my nursing group for workshops, was talking about her love for her rabbit. Everyone sort of went along with it but you could see many of them weren't that interested.
Then my friend turned to me and said 'You have a thing about guinea pigs don't you. Absolutely obsessed with them, they're like your babies,'

Obviously I'm pretty used to people saying this. But then she followed it up with, 'I just don't get it. Aren't guinea pigs like stupid pets? A dog or a cat knows who you are but surely a guinea pig has no idea. I thought guinea pigs were just kids pets,'

I got really grumpy! I surprised myself in how much it angered me. I don't think she ever meant it to be a nasty comment, I think that is genuinely what shes been led to believe her whole life. I told her they were not stupid at all and told her of all the times my guinea pigs have shown that they know who I am.

Has anyone else had experiences like this? Where people literally just don't get it? Or think guinea pigs are 'just a child's pet.'

She honestly didn't mean to offend me or be nasty. She was just genuinely curious and actually didn't think they knew who their owners were at all.

All I can say is I didn't get it myself until my partner got ours! I never thought they where stupid or anything like that as I've always liked animals. I just didn't realise how much character and personality they would have!

All I can say is I didn't get it myself until my partner got ours! I never thought they where stupid or anything like that as I've always liked animals. I just didn't realise how much character and personality they would have!

I'd say - it's her loss. If you're ever in that situation again - maybe it would be worth saying something like " If you haven't kept Guinea Pigs - How would you know?"

I do get ignorant comments like this often. It is very upsetting. The very people who say it are the type who talk a lot about their children and somehow that is okay but for us to love our pigs like children it is not.

@Davey-cavy I was the same until I was about 17 years old. I never disliked guinea pigs or thought they were stupid. But I didn't realise how wonderful they were until I did my research. I guess she would be the same. The part that got to me was the fact she hinted at the fact I was almost childish for liking them so much?

@PiggyOwner Yeah, I did say that to her. She just sort of shrugged. I don't think she meant to offend me. I just hate the fact I'm almost seen as 'weird' for it. :doh:

I do get ignorant comments like this often. It is very upsetting. The very people who say it are the type who talk a lot about their children and somehow that is okay but for us to love our pigs like children it is not.

I know exactly what you mean. Or even dogs and cats. People baby them all the time but that is seen as acceptable. But because guinea pigs are small animals that people think are 'only meant as a childs pet' means I'm strange for how much I love them.

I just think some people don't understand and thats perfectly fine. I just don't like it when they're almost like.. 'Awww bless her. She still likes guinea pigs,' :hmm:

I know exactly what you mean. Or even dogs and cats. People baby them all the time but that is seen as acceptable. But because guinea pigs are small animals that people think are 'only meant as a childs pet' means I'm strange for how much I love them.

I just think some people don't understand and thats perfectly fine. I just don't like it when they're almost like.. 'Awww bless her. She still likes guinea pigs,' :hmm:
I totally understand. It is so annoying as in my opinion, no animal should be a child's pet. Small animals are often not given the credit they deserve. At least you know everybody on here loves their pigs too and you can talk about them as much as you like.

It is extremely annoying when people don't see all pets as equals, from a fish to a horse they are all someones pride and joy and absolute babies! Obviously those people aren't true animal lovers, just animal 'likers'.

I totally understand. It is so annoying as in my opinion, no animal should be a child's pet. Small animals are often not given the credit they deserve. At least you know everybody on here loves their pigs too and you can talk about them as much as you like.

I totally agree. That's why I love it on here. I can ramble about them and look at them all day without anyone thinking, 'Oh she's talking about them again,' haha! Even my sister sometimes says, 'Amie can we please have a conversation about something other than the guinea pigs.' Maybe I have problems. :P

I totally agree. That's why I love it on here. I can ramble about them and look at them all day without anyone thinking, 'Oh she's talking about them again,' haha! Even my sister sometimes says, 'Amie can we please have a conversation about something other than the guinea pigs.' Maybe I have problems. :P
You are just a loving piggy mummy. I really think piggies are addictive! I'm obsessed.

I must admit I use too think they were a bit boring and couldn't understand why some people liked them so much until my husband came home with Edward. Now I have three and am totally in love :luv:. my friend has never understood my love for them and never shown any interest but yesterday she asked to see them so I took her upstairs and let her hold Edward (luckily he was on his best behaviour and didn't bite !) And she totally took to him and kept saying she couldn't believe how lovely they were.

I conciously limit how much I mention them to folks at work, and on facebook, as not everyone is into guinea pigs! Which is fine. They know piggies are one of my big interests but to some people they aren't an interest. If I want to chat about piggies I talk to likeminded people (such as on here). Everyone has different interests outside work, one of my colleagues is seriously into fitness, but none of the rest of us are, so usually she just chats to likeminded people about it unless we specifically have a conversation about it. My brother on the other hand talks about cars so much I can't get a word in edgeways! Which I'm usually tolerant of but not always... haha.

Haha yeah I don't ever talk about them at Uni. She see's the pictures I put on Facebook and gathers that I'm a little in love with them haha! Yeah we have a girl obsessed with fitness... as I sit here drinking a cup of tea with some chocolate biscuits. :P I take into account other people have different interests. I guess its more because I would never go up to the girl thats into fitness and be like 'Wow I thought fitness was only for _____ type of people' (Couldn't think of an example) :doh:

I don't know. Maybe I'm just taking things a little too seriously today. :))

Haha yeah I don't ever talk about them at Uni. She see's the pictures I put on Facebook and gathers that I'm a little in love with them haha! Yeah we have a girl obsessed with fitness... as I sit here drinking a cup of tea with some chocolate biscuits. :P I take into account other people have different interests. I guess its more because I would never go up to the girl thats into fitness and be like 'Wow I thought fitness was only for _____ type of people' (Couldn't think of an example) :doh:

I don't know. Maybe I'm just taking things a little too seriously today. :))

There are people who have (intentionally and unintentionally) derisive comments about every hobby and interest. Thats life, you can't win them all!

You didn't reply with, yeah I think rabbits &guinea pigs are the same. Dumb animals &dumb people that own them-oh hang on a minute you have a child's pet rabbit too! We're like twins!

That would have shut her up!
Yeah everybody calls me the guinea pig lady at work, some take the mickey but I dont care :))
The ones that say how are your hamsters get on my nerves though- they're not even close!

I enjoy making them endure my guinea talk, I have to listen to their car, kids, music other pet chats so they can listen me &my guinea pigs :)

I've been addicted to them for years so I guess I dont generally take much notice of peoples comments.

Oh &my vet charges child's pet. prices- so cheaper than the dogs &cats prices ;)
So an old fart with a child's pet
Yeah rock on :))
Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back