• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What outside run to buy (UK)

Does anyone have the Riverside Hutches folding run?
I need to replace our outdoor run as it's seen better days, but not sure whether to go with this one Order

or one of the Canterbury ones mentioned above. I can't tell how sturdy the Riverside one is. I like to support small businesses, but don't want to buy a run that's going to fall apart within a year or two.

My Riverside run fell apart when I took it out the box on arrival. The hinges were screwed too close to the edge of the frame and the wood had cracked. I got no reply to my email when I complained. I cable tied it together as I'd waited ages for it and wanted to get the piggies on the grass. Despite this I'm still using it 4 years on with the cable ties. I know other people have been very pleased with theirs and bought it on recommendation of someone on the forum so I may have just been unlucky. I have the Canterbury as well and have been pleased with everything about it.

I have the 6ft one and the 4ft one and as long as the top is not screwed down on the 6ft run it's easy enough for just one person to move you fold it up and move it. The 4ft one is only really large enough for 2 piggies as the grass is eaten down too far and takes ages to grow back if you add another piggie.
Yes it can be moved by one person without the lid as @Betsy says. It is the heaviest of all my runs but this is why I think it's the best, it's very well made with quality wood.
I finally bought one of these folding runs last week. As the weather was at last dry enough, today I got it out the box to set it up.
I have to admit, it doesn't seem as tough and sturdy as I hoped it would be - I don't think it would stand up to my son's football practice better than my old one. The main problem though is that I can't get the long sides to stay straight, there's always a bit of a zigzag at the hinges. Did either of you have that too? The only way to stop that would be to screw the lid down on both sides - but that would defeat the whole object of having a folding run! I think I expected the lid to be held on with clips that could be undone when you want to move the cage.
Looks like I'm going to have to find some DIY way of holding them together securely. Though I'm also considering phoning Home & Roost to see what they say ...

Yep that can be a problem zig zag sides I did manage to overcome it by making sure that the sides were pulled out properly - its a bit tricky to do but it does happen.

I had a problem with that too but then found a couple of the hinges needed tightening, it's been fine since as long as it's on flat ground and not on one of our many bumps. The metal runaround run came today it costs 3x as much but I am very impressed, no wood to split where the joints get pulled when moving it around. I'm thinking I may ditch the old 6ft Waterside Hutches run which I was going to make last another year with the help of cable ties and get another of these, they come with the gaps already made for the doors so we don't have to cut the mesh. I won't buy anymore folding runs as the runaround tubes tend to put a lot of strain on the ends and push them out of shape.

I haven't had a chance yet to try unfolding it with my OH holding one end to try to extend it fully, or to tighten up the hinges. Hope to give it a go soon though. Did either of you screw the lid down? I really don't want to do that, as I want to be able to move it around, either to fresh grass or to fold it away out of the weather when it's wet. Thinking maybe I'll be able to get some kind of fixings like those used on cupboard doors, or box lids. Time for a look at b&q I guess!

No I never screwed the lid down as I wanted the flexibility of being able to move it around and store it.

Back