What Should I Give Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalie corgs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new so let me know if this is in the wrong place!
After my much loved guinea pigs passing a couple of years ago, I finally opened up my heart to getting two more little girls.
They're settling really well so far but I just wanted to check with you guys as the Internet is full of conflicting info.
They're both on pets at home pellets but what other fresh veg do you give your piggies? So far I've given them a carrot which they loved!
But as they're 10 weeks I don't want to over feed them or give them something they can't deal with yet.
What sorts of fresh veg do you recommend and how often?
I'm off to the shops so I can pick them some bits up

Hello Natalie. Welcome to the forum.

A lot of research has been done into guinea pig pellets and it has been found that the ones we get a not healthy. These are the best pellets for guinea pigs,
http://theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

They are grainless, sugar free and low in calcium.

As for vegetables this is what I feed mine,
1 piece cucumber
1 sprig of coriander
1 piece of green pepper
1 green bean
1slice of spring green
2 pieces of celery.

I feed that twice a day per piggy. It is a special diet designed to prevent cystitis and bladder sludge.

Hi, and welcome to the friendliest forum on the net. I give my boys veggies twice a day they love sweet peppers,celery, cucumber,lettuce( not iceberg) broccoli tomato. If you go to the forum section and click on the food tab you will find an extensive list of foods you can give them. Hope you enjoy the forum and we beeb pic's of your girls!

A lot of research has been done into guinea pig pellets and it has been found that the ones we get a not healthy. These are the best pellets for guinea pigs,

1 piece cucumber
1 sprig of coriander
1 piece of green pepper
1 green bean
1slice of spring green
2 pieces of celery.

I feed that twice a day per piggy. It is a special diet designed to prevent cystitis and bladder sludge.
Thank you that's a great help! I'm hoping to get used to what they do and don't like but just wanted some ideas for now. What is the name of the food please? The link isn't working for me.
I've stayed away from treats full of sugar and things that aren't good for them.

Hi and welcome!

You may find these threads here helpful in developing your own diet:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...veg-and-fruit-list-with-vitamin-c-grading.42/

What you feed yourself in the end depends on your piggies' personal taste and a sensible balance of what you can get/use up within a reasonable period. There are online places that sell good quality hay at cheaper prices than shops; the same goes for pellets. Burgess Excel is a better brand than p@h nuggets if you are looking for a brand that is not too expensive and widely available.

I would recommend to limit the amount of pellets you are feeding and to filter your water, especially if you are living in a hard water area. that alone already cuts down a lot re. bladder problems.

Thank you that's a great help! I'm hoping to get used to what they do and don't like but just wanted some ideas for now. What is the name of the food please? The link isn't working for me.
I've stayed away from treats full of sugar and things that aren't good for them.
It is called bunny and is available on zoo plus. Burgess is high in calcium so I would avoid that.

Great thanks for the help everyone!
I've got a few things I'll try to see what they like as time goes on. My old guineas loved corn on the cob!
I filter my own water so I've been filling their bottle up with it too.
It's crazy to think that these two little girls have already given me so much happiness already in such a short amount of time!
I look forward to being a member of this forum too. Everyone is so helpful. Thanks again :)
Natalie x x

Another pellet that you can try if your girls don't like those mentioned above is Harrington's Optimum. The pellets are much smaller than most brands so piggies find them easier. My piggies definitely love them. You can buy it from most on-line pet shops.

1 piece cucumber
1 sprig of coriander
1 piece of green pepper
1 green bean
1slice of spring green
2 pieces of celery.

@piggyfan - do you have any pics of the veg amounts you feed. i know you've listed it but if you have pics, would like to see :)

Hi everyone
Just to let you know I tried a bit of celery, cucumber and tomato earlier and they seemed to love that! I've taken a note of the list and will see what goes down well and I guess we will go from there.

They are still settling in and we're all getting used to each other but it's going well so far! Even though I used to have guineas before, it feels like ages ago so I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right for them with their food.
Thanks for everyone's support :)

1 piece cucumber
1 sprig of coriander
1 piece of green pepper
1 green bean
1slice of spring green
2 pieces of celery.

I tried green bean with my older girls today and I laughed so hard when Oreo was so excited that she took a massive bite and promptly spit the bite onto the floor and whacked my hand with her head. Apparently I've offended her with my new choice of veggie! Hahahaha! Too funny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back