• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What should we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We have four boars in total, Branston and Junior live very happily together and then Rodney and Delboy live together. Rodney and Branston hate each other both being the dominant pigs, so they can't all live as a four together. The last few days Rodneys been naughty and won't stop chasing and humping Delboy around the cage, this morning he just wouldn't stop and they were chattering there teeth for ages at each other. Then Branston heard and started chattering too, Junior's still only a baby so gets scared when he hears this so hides in the corner :(

We don't know why Rodneys started this behaviour, they have more than enough space, have floor time every day, a hidey each in their cage and cuddles most days. Does anyone know why he would of started this? Is there anything we can do to stop it? Do you think we should seperate them?

Delboys a very shy and reserved piggie, he does love cuddles but doesn't come out much in his cage. He's quite a small boar too, I'm keeping a close eye on his weight, hes been stable around the 1kg mark for the last few weeks. We are wondering whether we should introduce him to Branston and Junior to see how they get along. What does everyone think?

Thanks,
Rachel x

Don't seperate them unless blood is drawn, this sounds like a dminance display and should pass in time.

Yeah I wouldn't separate unless their was any blood.

1kg is fine for a guinea pig - my lightest is around 900g compared to his 1300g brother :))

Thanks, we just feel really bad for Delboy :(

Ooh thanks, I though it was a bit low as all my others are around the 1200g, not including baby of course, just me worrying I think rolleyes

It can be hard to stand by and watch but they need to be given the chance to sort it out between them.

Thanks, we just feel really bad for Delboy :(

Ooh thanks, I though it was a bit low as all my others are around the 1200g, not including baby of course, just me worrying I think rolleyes

Guinea pigs weights can range from around 900g to 1800g :)

How old are your boys? Boars suffer from erratic hormonal surges between about 4-12 months old; the worst time is often at the beginning and then again at about 8-10 months old. That is perfectly normal, and you should not separate unless there are bloody bites from a fight or incessant humping over the course of several days is keeping the other boar from eating and sleeping. Everything else you have to have to sit out.

Here is more about boar behaviour and when to separate and when not:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28949

Here is a link to a website devoted to boars:
http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/home.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back