What size for a piece of fruit

JimmythePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
I give a piece of fruit once a week after cage cleaning. Jimmy thinks I'm too stingy as I only give a small piece, such as 2 blueberries or a tiny piece of banana or a small slice of apple.
What is a proper size for a once a week treat?
Thank you

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I give mine roughly half a piece of an apple slice which is an eighth of the apple.
They don’t get apple that often - maybe once a month.

Your descriptions of size sound fine but don’t forget that for a guinea pig all food is a treat - my lot get a chunk of cucumber most days and regard that as the best ever treat.
They don’t have the same concept of treats that we do.

JimmythePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you. I was watching videos and they were giving whole apples to 2 piggies and wedges of watermelon. I kind of felt bad because I dont give near that.
I just give the fruit to try and keep things interesting for him, but for sure the veggies are a treat too, even the grass hay I have.
As always the best info is on this forum!

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggies literally get the bottom end of a banana that I don’t eat in half once a week, I agree seeing people giving them so much fruit I like ahhh not that much but it’s tricky you don’t want to be that person every time someone does something you don’t agree with!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you. I was watching videos and they were giving whole apples to 2 piggies and wedges of watermelon. I kind of felt bad because I dont give near that.
I just give the fruit to try and keep things interesting for him, but for sure the veggies are a treat too, even the grass hay I have.
As always the best info is on this forum!
Hay is the most important part of the diet, over 80% of the daily food intake. Veg (50g per day) and pellets (one tablespoon, which is roughly 6g, per day) are daily snacks. Fruit is a treat and actually does not need to feature in their diet at all. Mine have had fruit probably three times in two years. I offered them some strawberry a few months back, they refused to eat it.