• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What The Hay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallibut

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

We've got two girls. They're indoor piggies living on fleece. Is it normal for them to completely empty whatever I put hay in onto the floor? It seems to be one girl in particular that does it. I've tried a hay rack and a fleece hay bag. It doesn't seem to make any difference. She empties the entire thing onto the floor, wee's on it, poo's on it then pretty much doesn't want to eat it any more until I sweep it out and put fresh in. Then they go at it like it's going out of fashion. Or at least they do until it's all been dragged out and soiled.

I'm feeding hayforpets ings hay atm, but she did it with the Alfalfa King timothy we had before that too.

Guineas do like to have a good pile of hay to burrow under. Unfortunately if your bedding on fleece and keeping hay in racks etc then this is something that is likely to happen.

It is good for guineas to have a good bed of hay as they do like to laze in it but will also eat the hay around them. Have you thought of changing from fleece or to half fleece and half newspaper or another bedding such as Fitch ?

I recently brought one of those corner little trays to put there hay into, and mine have been quite good with it... as mine did the same and I spend ages hoovering the fleece, but they seemed to do it more so to lay on it (but my special needs boy gets really bad pressure sores and a wet bum if he does that). Anywho, the litter tray has been an improvement, got the largest one I could and it seems to keep things tidier!

I was going to switch to Fitch but my boy couldn't walk on it, so the litter tray was the best idea for me :)

But the half fleece, half newspaper idea if you didn't want to switch to fitch could be a good one! :)

I purchased a corner litter tray as well to put hay into for my girls.... and they litter trained themselves! 90% of their business is done in that box now... kind of good, kind of bad because you have to change out the hay a couple times a day now. I think maybe a combination tray of hay with a rack of hay to keep some clean for eating is a good option.

I also purchased a corner litter tray with the hay rack above it and a couple of my pigs are pretty well trained and use it most of the time, but not all of them unfortunately! But it does mean they can trample and wee all over some hay while eating clean fresh hay from the rack :)

Mine pull out hay, always have done, but they do eat the majority of it.

I put my boys hay into a cat litter tray (with shallow sides) I use back to nature bedding in the tray. And yes they still drag all the hay onto the fleece. Ha ha. I tidy it up and as soon as I turn my back Alby has pulled it all out again. I don't mind though as long as my boys r happy.

As I know am a total fleece convert I put a litter tray at one end of the cage and line it with a puppy pad cut to size.

Then I plonk on a large mound of hay (the tray is deep)n and they jump in and sit side by side munching away, and then one of them scoots of and sleeps in a cuddle thing and the other has a nap in the hay tray - I think the pad stops it getting too damp, and I change it first thing and before bed too, so they always have fresh hay in a clean tray when they first eat it :))

I have had to use a curved section of willow stick to wedge against the tray though to stop them tipping it over as they will tip anything - that can tip - over!:lol!:

I've had one of the triangular corner litter trays for a while. I'll give it a go as a hay feeder. I don't suppose it's much worse them weeing and pooing on the hay in the tray as on the fleece anyway! :xd:

My two original girls and Peter when I first got him didn't really do this but Buddy would have the hay all over the floor within seconds :) When I had a C&C cage I ended up getting a cheap cat litter tray for a big pile of hay for them to dive into

I use a baking tray without high edges, put a bit of newspaper over it and put a big pile of hay on top. They love to burrow in it and I clean the tray daily. I also have a hayrack (ferplast one that goes outside the cage) so they have clean hay available too incase they pee over it all :)

I use cat litter trays for each of my piggies. I got them from the pound shop and I tell you they do wonders. My oiggies live on fleece and hardly any hay gets on it (and its on a higher level too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back