• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What to do with all the poop?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
:{ Have only got two piggies, housed together indoors at the moment... They were on vet bed but found after i'd washed it numerous times, it got lighter and lighter, until the piggies were burrowing under it, making the water absorbent backing pointless, as it was on top of them!

So have gone back to wood shavings, but even with just a weekly big clean, I'm making at least one big black bag full of wet newspaper, shavings and hay etc, which as we only have a fortnightly empty for that sort of bin, I'm always storing a bag of poop which is never going down! So what does everyone else do with their rubbish? Does anyone else have an excess?

I was wondering, could it be burnt in a garden fire pit or chimenea, and if so, does it smell bad? Other than that, I'll have to drive it to the tip or something...

I'm quite lucky we have weekly collections and it normally goes in the brown bin for the dustman, my neighbour occasionaly has a bag for his garden but on occasion i have burnt it I havent noticed it smelling bad but because its sometimes damp there does tend to be a fair bit of smoke.

Oh, i didn't know it would smoke quite bad, i didn't think of that! Don't think my neighbours would be too pleased. Off to the tip it will have to go then... Just another job to add to my list of many!

I would have thought burning it once in a while wouldn't hurt, just warn the neighbours that they might need to close their windows- no different than having a bonfire on an autumn evening.

I use hay for bedding and just compost it. It ends up becoming really nutrient rich soil, and it's great for gardening! :(|)

I'm the same as jacs, but if i had a nice garden i would chuck them on there as they are meant to be great for plants.

Alternatively, feed them to a dog, they love them! :)>>>

I heard that guinea pig poop makes excellent fertilizer :) I'd make a mini muck heap, and rot the stuff down, then put it back into your compost :)

My yard owner lets me put mine on our muck heap, they are very kind as just my lot create two full bags a week, and when I have boarders in it can be four bags!

So basically as it is shavings it will biodegrade, and can be composted if you have a garden :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back