• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What to put over concrete for outside hutch?

BellaGP

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, we have a two storey outdoor hutch. The bottom level will be sitting on paving slabs. Would that be OK or should I put down something warmer/softer? I'm thinking of using timber decking.

@BellaGP Does it have legs or is it flat on the floor?

Standing directly on paving slabs is fine as long as they're flat so the hutch doesn't wobble.

I put a false floor on my old hutch that went straight onto the ground. It was weatherproof board (available from Jewsons which they will cut to your measurements) then a middle layer of an offcut of floor insulation covered in a waterproof membrane then another layer of weatherproof board.

@Jaycey - It doesn't have it's own floor, just sides so Bella and sister will walk on the slabs. Personally I'd rather stand on wood than concrete so I'll put down timber decking because it's better for weathering than most other timber. I'll cut the platform the same size as the hutch so the hutch can neatly sit on top.

@Betsy - The bottom level is mesh all round so no gain from insulating the floor. I am planning to stick insulation to the underside of the upper floor, and also insulate the walls/roof for the nest box.

Do you plan to have them outside all year round or just in the warmer months?

I would be tempted to use some plywood to block at least the back of the downstairs but perhaps 3 sides to prevent too much wind affecting them and to stop too much water getting in when it rains. Paving slabs are fine in the summer months but in the winter you ideally need them off the ground as it will take the cold from the ground into the poor piggies. If you decide to use timber as a ground for them you may want to consider lining it with a piece of lino or the lino tiles otherwise their urine will start to rot the timber over time

I insulated the sides of my hutch with the off cuts from the waterproof ply to keep the rain out and to make it a bit warmer. I'll see if I have a picture. I also bought a hutch hugger to keep the rain from coming in the front of the hutch. You can see a bit of the insulation "sandwich" underneath.
Final Winterproofing.JPG

@Jaycey - It doesn't have it's own floor, just sides so Bella and sister will walk on the slabs. Personally I'd rather stand on wood than concrete so I'll put down timber decking because it's better for weathering than most other timber. I'll cut the platform the same size as the hutch so the hutch can neatly sit on top.

@Betsy - The bottom level is mesh all round so no gain from insulating the floor. I am planning to stick insulation to the underside of the upper floor, and also insulate the walls/roof for the nest box.

Ah, so it's a hutch with a run attached. Unless it's warm weather you'll need to keep them in the upstairs hutch and make sure to lock them in overnight.

Please ensure that you secure it as much as possible from predators

We have a waterproof cover so they'll be protected from the weather in winter. Those solid sides would help with through drafts for the rest of the year. too.

Lino on the base is a good idea, I've vinyl offcuts I could use, and I could bond that to hardboard to PIR insulation to keep the toes less cold.

This is the hutch - Highgrove Rabbit Hutch
This is the cover - Highgrove Hutch Cover

We have a waterproof cover so they'll be protected from the weather in winter. Those solid sides would help with through drafts for the rest of the year. too.

Lino on the base is a good idea, I've vinyl offcuts I could use, and I could bond that to hardboard to PIR insulation to keep the toes less cold.

This is the hutch - Highgrove Rabbit Hutch
This is the cover - Highgrove Hutch Cover

Do you already have the hutch? Only I have just had a look at the link and it's not big enough for two piggies.

Do you already have the hutch? Only I have just had a look at the link and it's not big enough for two piggies.

Oh.

Yes we do. It's 10 sq ft which I thought was big enough? We've also got a tube to a 6x4 run to give them daytime roaming, albeit we'll do that a bit at a time to settle them in.

Oh.

Yes we do. It's 10 sq ft which I thought was big enough? We've also got a tube to a 6x4 run to give them daytime roaming, albeit we'll do that a bit at a time to settle them in.

When working out living space only one floor is taken into consideration and the minimum for two sows is 120cmx60. Definitely don't get boars with the hutch

Back