• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What veggies can I feed my guinea pig daily?

Zhi Heng

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I have read alot forum and those veggies chart but most of them just mention whether if they are safe to it or a general frequency of how often they can be eaten. So far I have only compiled romaine lettuce, endives and Bell peppers as the only veggies that can be fed daily. However in order to feed variety of veggies, I would like to ask what are other veggies that can be fed daily without an issue. I understand that veggies that are high in calcium like spinach, boy choy, water cress, n most of the dark green leafy veggies can be fed only occasionally, n tomatoes can only be fed at most twice a week due to high acidic content, so I'm lost as to which veggies can I feed them daily? (my family doesn't cook at all, so I only buy veggies specifically for my guinea pig which is why I'm trying to find veggies that can be fed daily as those that can be fed occasionally like spinach are often wasted (they come in bags of 200g) as they would spoil unless I feed them daily.) Also, I would like to clarify one thing, I see alot posts where ppl mention it's good to have both high calcium veggies everyday if u balance it with low calcium veggies like romaine lettuce, does that mean it's okay to feed bok choy, water cress, cilantro etc on a daily basis in small amounts? Cuz on the other hand, alot of the veggies comparison did mention that high calcium veggies can only be fed occasionally?

I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like you have read our sample diet recommendations. It's not the perfect daily meal but it's a great start Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets (just click the green writing).

What I sometimes do is feed the same veg several days in a row if it's something we don't eat but then I just won't buy it for weeks or sometimes a couple of months

The only veg I feed daily is : Bell peppers, lettuce, coriander, cucumber and a small amount of spring greens.
Anything else I add in is not daily (perhaps they’ll get something twice a week) and it is done in rotation - .but we eat the rest of them so they don’t get wasted.
Feeding low calcium veg does it mean you can balance is and feed high calcium veg daily. High calcium veg should only be fed in moderation - spinach, kale etc kept limited

They get a lot of calcium intake from pellets and drinking water. Keep pellets limited to one tablespoon per pig per day and filtering drinking water will also help keep their calcium intake moderated. piggies do still need calcium but not excessive amounts

Hi I noticed u mentioned u feed coriander daily, however coriander is higher in calcium than most dark green veggies from what I'm aware of, (usually herbs have high calcium content than veggies)... That's what I was told that's why i dont dare to feed coriander daily😅 I feed 10g of it every once in a while... I used to feed a slice of cucumber everyday too but i was told it shldnt be fed as it has low nutrional value :/

I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like you have read our sample diet recommendations. It's not the perfect daily meal but it's a great start Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets (just click the green writing).

What I sometimes do is feed the same veg several days in a row if it's something we don't eat but then I just won't buy it for weeks or sometimes a couple of months
Yup samee, tho i think I'm breaking the general rule😅

Yup samee, tho i think I'm breaking the general rule😅

There's not a rule. There's an optimum diet for health but it's not a one size fits all and I can tell you that I can put a slice of pepper in per pig at veg time but you can bet your life that with 4 of them they aren't sharing nicely and one piggy is bound to have more than their share :))

Hi I noticed u mentioned u feed coriander daily, however coriander is higher in calcium than most dark green veggies from what I'm aware of, (usually herbs have high calcium content than veggies)... That's what I was told that's why i dont dare to feed coriander daily😅 I feed 10g of it every once in a while... I used to feed a slice of cucumber everyday too but i was told it shldnt be fed as it has low nutrional value :/

A couple of sprigs of coriander is fine to be fed daily. Please read the guide which was linked in.

We usually feed a slice of cucumber and a slice of red pepper almost every day, as these keep well in the fridge and last a whole week- plus some sort of leaves everyday, rotated through the week. They often get the same leaves 2 days in a row if its something that needs using up (but with 8 piggies and us cooking veggie food everyday nothing goes to waste at our house!). So they've had coriander 2 days this week, and they'll have little gem lettuce 2 days this week, and a mixed bag of salad leaves 2 days this week. Some weeks they get parsley or dill, if they havent had spinach or kale in their mixed salad- I tend to limit high calcium veg to twice a week and these are all the higher calcium leaves. Coriander is not particularly high in calcium and can be fed regularly.
But its also worth noting that most dietary calcium often comes from pellets, some people feed far fewer pellets and lots more veg- but if you want to make a major diet change do this gradually to avoid bloat!
The diet guide is a good starting point anyway but it certainly isnt definitive and we all work out the best way to feed our own particular piggies over time x

I buy bags of mixed salad leaves and give them usually a third of a bag a day (for two piggies) and one other veggie (carrot, baby corn, green beans, bell pepper, cucumber etc.) I usually aim for 3 different veggies a week. I also feed herbs by hand whenever I am using them for cooking which is usually a couple of times a week. I try not to get too caught up on the breakdown of what's in what as both my piggies are healthy and don't need to avoid anything completely. I just aim for as much variety as possible but I also have problems with some food spoiling but for us it's normally just cucumber that goes off quicker than it can be eaten.

Back