• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What Wood To Use To Build Some Houses For The Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartecosse

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The correx and some panels should all be arriving today so I'd like to build a couple of houses / hides for the guinea pigs.

I was going to use standard 12mm plywood but then I wondered if that was safe for them if they are going to nibble it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hmm I have a couple I bought off of ebay, I'm sure they are plywood, I can have a look at the listing if it's still there and see if it tells you :)

The correx and some panels should all be arriving today so I'd like to build a couple of houses / hides for the guinea pigs.

I was going to use standard 12mm plywood but then I wondered if that was safe for them if they are going to nibble it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I used 12mm ply to build my hutches. the rabbits are in as well and they haven't chewed it (separate hutches of course. ;) )

So I ended up putting the two guinea pigs in their new cage yesterday evening even though I hadn't made the stand for it or houses for them as I thought they would enjoy the space.....so they are making do with a couple of cardboard boxes.

Todays job is building the stand and also a house for each of them and perhaps a few other little tunnels etc for them to play/hide in.

What sort of size would be best for the houses for them, do guinea pigs prefer a larger house or a more cosy one? The cage we have made for them is a 5x2 grid one so should be enough space for a few bits and bobs for them to play with...

Do you think that 12" long, 8" wide and 8" high would be a decent size? Build two of these so they have one each if they don't want to be together?

Actually maybe 12" long is too much, looking at an old chinchilla box we have that is 8x8 and 9" long and that looks like a better size....

No problem, piggies are funny, I have a big igloo in one cage and only one will go in it at a time lol, then we have longer houses I bought and sometimes only sometimes they will share.

Take this pic for example, TK is in the small house but if you notice there's a longer one in his cage! The older boys love these longer ones though, so I guess it really depends on the piggy.

2015-06-17 13.34.44.jpg

2015-06-17 13.35.07.jpg

I only use plywood on the parts they are least likely to chew on. Everything else, I use PSE timber (planed square edged).
Plywood contains glue and I don't liked the thought of them digisting this. A personal thing really, but you still get hideys made out of plywood so maybe I'm a bit OTT?

My hutches are made of ply, the rabbits haven't chewed them and buns are the worst at chewing everything! ;)

Sadly mine chew everything, I'm replacing part of our hutch this weekend due to them mistaking it for supper! :))
Correct lasted 5 minutes :doh:
As for those chubes, they love them! :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back