• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What Would White Urine Be Caused By?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer D

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
While poop picking today I noticed that there were two pee spots that had dried white. What causes this? Am I providing too much calcium? I remember seeing this in the guinea pig cage when I was a child.

Thanks!

It will be calcium. I rarely see calcium deposits now that I switched pellets to vitakraft emotion and follow the ic diet. I doubt you can find the pellets in Canada though.

It will be calcium. I rarely see calcium deposits now that I switched pellets to vitakraft emotion and follow the ic diet. I doubt you can find the pellets in Canada though.
We have these things called extruded pellets. There is only one brand that I've found so far and it's not a good one. It's all alfalfa as well :( I wonder if the fact that I've been providing quite a bit of red leaf lettuce for the pigs may have something to do with it. They eat very little of the pellets. I didn't realize that lettuce shouldn't make up the majority of the veggies I'm giving them. I've started cutting back on the lettuce a few days ago and providing instead some pepper, some cilantro and parsley, and cucumber and tomatoes. Right now they're on Harrington's Optimum for pellets. I give them a fresh 1/3 cup every day in each cage (2 pigs per cage) and they don't even finish that.

Vitakraft is available at a pet store chain here but the pigs ate all of the little treat bits and left the pellets! Do they do a pellet only food?

I used to feed lettuce too and it really gave them white urine. Here is what I feed now,
1 green bean.
1 slice cucumber
1 slice green pepper
1 slice spring greens
2 slices of celery.
1 sprig corriander
I feed this per piggy twice a day. It was a plan devised by a very knowledgeable woman who runs a piggy clinic.

Calcium deposits are normal, as long as it is not gritty and just feels powdery there is no problem, but there is a school of thought to feeding low calcium diets, it is something we try to do.

I used to feed lettuce too and it really gave them white urine. Here is what I feed now,
1 green bean.
1 slice cucumber
1 slice green pepper
1 slice spring greens
2 slices of celery.
1 sprig corriander
I feed this per piggy twice a day. It was a plan devised by a very knowledgeable woman who runs a piggy clinic.
That's interesting Gigi, thanks for sharing it :)

1 green bean.
1 slice cucumber
1 slice green pepper
1 slice spring greens
2 slices of celery.
1 sprig corriander
Thanks! I think I saw this on another thread and it's where I realized that I was giving too much lettuce! lol!

It is likely calcium being passed in the urine. I'm also in Canada (Ontario rather than Alberta, though), and use Kaytee Premium Timothy Fiber Diet. I buy it at PetSmart (do you have that chain in Alberta?) Lower calcium than an alfalfa-based pellets (one of my pigs has a bladder stone and thus I've been told to only feed timothy-based pellets, no alfafa.) Hope this helps a bit!

It is likely calcium being passed in the urine. I'm also in Canada (Ontario rather than Alberta, though), and use Kaytee Premium Timothy Fiber Diet. I buy it at PetSmart (do you have that chain in Alberta?) Lower calcium than an alfalfa-based pellets (one of my pigs has a bladder stone and thus I've been told to only feed timothy-based pellets, no alfafa.) Hope this helps a bit!
I believe that's the brand that I feed my rabbit since I had to move her off alfalfa at 6 months. I buy it at PetSmart too... Maybe I'll try it next time! Thanks!

1 green bean.
1 slice cucumber
1 slice green pepper
1 slice spring greens
2 slices of celery.
1 sprig corriander

Thanks for this! I may give this a go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back