• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stayc1989

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello :) I took in my guinea pig billy who was on a free ad site,I'll post the link to my original thread, so you can have a read through to know what was going on with this previous owner:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-on-shpock.146362/

So the previous owner actually texts me all the time to see how he's getting on and if we're all okay and I send her pictures of them. (I thought she was heartless at the time of getting rid of him but then I came around to thinking she's not that bad after all as she keeps in touch and she still likes to know how he.)

It was suggested that she may be a breeder trying to get rid of her unwanted stock. So this morning I got a text from her asking if I would be interested in a female guinea pig! The text read "hello Stacey how you all my love? I was just wondering if you would be interested in a female guinea pig? I thought I would ask you first because I know you will give her a wonderful home x" Now I am angry! Because not only has she gone and acquired another guinea pig from god knows where but is now getting rid of it!

I'm leaning towards thinking she is a breeder even though she told me over text and in the advert that billy was her friends guinea pig who couldn't keep him anymore even though I saw with my own eyes that she was trying to buy more guinea pigs! I feel like an idiot and like a dumpster for unwanted guinea pigs that she gets/breeds or whatever and can't sell so has text me! I am mad that she has got another one and Mad that she has bare faced lied to me!

So now I am in a situation, I haven't text her back yet but I cannot and will not have the female guinea pig.I have 7 of my own and have no where for another cage and no space in my cages for another guinea pig. I am in the process of renovating my house and will be moving in soon so I cannot afford another guinea pig as well as not having space. I also do not want to be the dumpster for her "stock" so even if I did take this female guinea pig who's to say she won't do this again 3 months down the line?

I'm not doing it but I am worried now about this guinea pig, so I'm in the same situation I was with billy. I was thinking of taking her to a rescue but with the previous owner texting me so often it's going to look weird if I don't send her any pictures of the female guinea pig. Unless I say that I rehomed her or something. I'm just feeling like an idiot, really angry and now I'm worried about the guinea pig. I'm also mad that she's tried to make me feel guilty by saying " I know you will give her a wonderful home" because yes I know I would but she can't just expect me to pick up the mistakes she's caused by getting/breeding them! Should I try having a word with her about it and kind of say stop getting guinea pigs? And if so what should I say to her? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well, she's not your friend per se or someone you have a vested interest in maintaining a relationship with, so I guess you can pretty much say whatever you want to say. First off, try not to feel guilty that you're unable to take in another pig that she has brought home and decided not to keep. You can only do what you can do. Honestly, I would probably shoot her back a short message that says you are unable to take on another guinea pig right now, but suggest she try (insert local rescue here.) Then I would probably say I really don't understand why she is taking on new guinea pigs while trying to get rid of guinea pigs, but that's it's unfair to the animals. Then I would probably just stop responding to her texts completely.

I would tell her all the bad things I have in mind... who cares whether she will feel offended then?
Anyway, you will not change the world and breeders will go on doing their legal job and illegal activities. That's all. You got a piggie who already was on this earth and maybe would have died without you. The piggie was saved for free, nobody earned anything (only the vet earns a lot...).
The fact is that for getting certain colour results and special beauties the breeder has the necessity to make the cross in a specific way, producing a group of piggies where only one or two have the wanted and searched factors. All the other piggies (and I am talking of serious breeders) are only a waste. They can be sold, killed, given for free...
The fault of all this story is not of the breeder but of the well mannered and educated people who ask and pay for a chocolate/cream/white-grey/satin/red eyes/black eyes/rosettes/long hair and so on piggie... Breeders do what people want and pay for. The waste go to the bin or to other owners... This is the life.

I can't believe she's done that
I would just tell her straight
Then I would cut all contact
Because she can't be that concerned as she is repeating the same patern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back