• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What's For The Best

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanda08.

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 3 and 1/2 year old female piggy has a prolapsed eye was at vet on Tuesday was given antibiotics pain relief and ointment and toled to come back Friday to see if any better and decided which action to take. Her eye is no better in fact it's a good deal worse. Do I pain the hundreds of pounds to have her X rayed and operated on or is it kinder to let her go to sleep. Please give opinion. X

There are a few piggies on this forum with only one eye or who are totally blind & continue to live happy lives.

My rule of thumb is generally that if I can afford the treatment without missing out on something important, like putting food on the table or making my mortgage payment, and if the treatment is likely to restore them to reasonably good health and quality of life, I will attempt to treat them. There are certainly piggies out there who have lost an eye surgically or gone blind via a natural process like cataracts who have recovered very well and led good, happy lives, so I wouldn't assume that her quality of life would diminish with the loss of an eye. Only you know your financial and can weigh whether or not this treatment is in your ability to provide for her. Some vets will offer payment plans and things like that for medical treatments if the lump sum up front is hard to make. Lots of luck, it's never easy to decide what's best for medical treatment!

Hi there & sorry to hear your first post is such a worrying one

i know these two members have had experience with eye removals & may be able to help @Claire W @sharonS there are others but i cant think of them at present, also Debbie at @furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary has loads of blind/deaf piggies that lead a normal life she will probably be able to give some really helpful advice too,

have you looked on the vet locator list at the top of the page as these are all cavy savvy vets, all according to your location different advice will be given. if you update your profile with your country or county if in the uk better tailored advice can be given.

Afraid i can offer no real advice other than to make sure the pain relief keeps coming & eyes need urgent attention as things spiral out of control quickly when they get problems.
Eye removal from a very experienced exotics vet may be your first option to consider. if you could contact Simon maddocks at the cat & rabbit clinic in northamton uk. he may be able to point you in the right direction if your not sure your current vet is savvy enough.

good luck with your decision, please keep us updated & major bucketfulls of healing vibes for a speedy recovery are being sent. the girls & I.xx

My 3 and 1/2 year old female piggy has a prolapsed eye was at vet on Tuesday was given antibiotics pain relief and ointment and toled to come back Friday to see if any better and decided which action to take. Her eye is no better in fact it's a good deal worse. Do I pain the hundreds of pounds to have her X rayed and operated on or is it kinder to let her go to sleep. Please give opinion. X

I am sorry that things have not got better for your girl.

Guinea pigs can live happily with just one eye, once they have got used to it. They usually don't like to be approached from their blind side, but otherwise you won't know any difference. Several of my piggies have or have had advanced cataracts and yet were able to live active and fulfilled lives.

@furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary: Your Monty has been through a retrobulbar abscess and eye removal.

As we are dealing with members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country or state to your details, so we can take into account what medications etc. are availalbe to you. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thanks!

As @Wiebke has mentioned, Monty had his eye removed over a year ago, after suffering a retrobulbar abscess. He made a very quick recovery, and was in fact standing up at the bars shouting for his food just hours after the op. He didn't appear to have any problem adapting to life with one eye, and it hasn't changed his behaviour at all. I have dealt with quite a few piggies who have had eyes removed and they have all done very well. xx

Aww poor piggy :/ If it is the cost you are worried about I can understand- I've paid about £200 for a simple fungal infection! And an operation must be pretty stressful for a guinea.

But weigh it up against the alternative. I'm afraid I don't know much about piggy eye problems, but from what other have said already I'm sure it's possible that your girl can recover from this and give you several more years of joy. After forming such a strong bond with a piggy I'm not sure I could justify not doing all I could to prolong their life if the benefits outweighed the risks and if I could afford it as well as my own essentials.

Good luck with such a stressful decision Amanda, and my best wishes to your poorly girl x

You should not need to pay for an Xray if the issue is that the eye needs removing (a procedure called enucletation)
The fact you are being pressured into considering PTS because of "the cost quoted" is outrageous - no Xray is needed..

Go for the eye removal (I have had a piggie who lived a very happy life for many years after her damaged eye was removed)
But I would question however the need for an xray to enable the operation to take place..
If your vet insists on an Xray before performing the op - I suggest you fnd another vet...

HTH
x

Thank you to everyone that replied to my post. My kids and I decided we would go ahead with surgery unfortunately within 2hour of leaving sky at the vet we got a phone call to say that after looking at X-rays the vet recommends that we let her slip away. Sky had an abses that had caused an aggressive infection which had traveled to her bones. Very sad times but she is at peace now.
Unfortunately daisy our other guinea pig is going to miss her a great deal.

HUGS

I am very sorry that you had to let your much loved girl go! it is the kind of call the we all dread. :(

You are very welcome to post a tribute to Skye in our Rainbow Bridge section anytime that feels right for you.

I am very sorry to hear this. You did the best you could for her, however it was her time to go to The Bridge.

I'm sure she went knowing she was much loved.
Popcorn-free little piggie - (can we know her name please?)

Big hugs to you, your family and Daisy
x

Her name was originally Skye but we all called her skyepie.
We have even added to Daisy's name by calling her daisy d.
Was cleaning Daisy's hutch out today and felt so sad looks so big for one little piggy.

so sorry you lost her. you definitely did the right thing though by giving her a chance. x

Rest in peace little Sky....

You were a much loved piggie and unfortunately it was your time to go to the Bridge.

There are a lot of piggies waiting to greet you in the green meadow grasses of Rainbow Bidge...and your mummy's love is with you always.

Popcorn free little Sky
x

I am so sorry to hear this. Sleep well little one, huge hugs x

RIP Sky
x x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back