• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Whats going on here?

Shelley anne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I took Lola to the vet today and they have given the all clear. They checked her temp, weight, teeth, bladder, looked at her skin for mites & lice. they said she was lively enough and couldn't find anything wrong but to keep an eye on her.

I get her home again and she isn't eating as well as she should which is how she was last night. Today she ate a handful of Puha (Thistle) and some hay and is especially fond of eating the other piggies poo at the moment. All evening last night she followed Bindy around with her mouth up her butt waiting for a poo. I am sure this is what she is doing. Then I would see her nibbling on something. I am certain it was Bindys poop.

What does this indicate, does any one know? I have to admit, despite not seeing her eat, she is not loosing weight and is quite active. I dont think things are right with her though, even though the vet has said they cant find anything wrong. Any ideas what is going on here?

Sorry to hear Lola is acting out of ordinary. I don’t know what could be wrong but want to offer my support anyway. Is she eating her own poos at all or just Bindy’s?

Eating other piggies poo can be their way of settling their gut. It’s the equivalent of you making poop soup but they are doing it themselves.
Keep an eye on her - keep an eye on her poops (their consistency etc) and her weight (to ensure she is eating enough hay). When there is evidence of a gut imbalance (ie their poops are soft) the advice is to keep them off of all veg and grass until things settle but It might be that there is something making her feel a bit off but not enough to produce more consistent and evident symptoms.

Sorry to hear Lola is acting out of ordinary. I don’t know what could be wrong but want to offer my support anyway. Is she eating her own poos at all or just Bindy’s?
No I dont think she is eating her own just Bindys.

Eating other piggies poo can be their way of settling their gut. It’s the equivalent of you making poop soup but they are doing it themselves.
Keep an eye on her - keep an eye on her poops (their consistency etc) and her weight (to ensure she is eating enough hay). When there is evidence of a gut imbalance (ie their poops are soft) the advice is to keep them off of all veg and grass until things settle but It might be that there is something making her feel a bit off but not enough to produce more consistent and evident symptoms.
Her poops are quite dry and a bit smaller than normal but it could be because she is not eating as much as she was. Its so hard to put food in front of a guinea pig and her not want it. I am not used to this and it makes me feel anxious for her. Bindy however thinks Christmas has come at once. I bought a huge selections of veg to try on Lola and Bindy is finishing it off! She will be making some healthy poops for lola to eat.:))

Smaller poops will be because she isn’t eating enough hay. Keep an eye on her weight, if she continuously doesn’t eat enough and her weight drops you’ll have to step in a syringe feed her.
Try not to let bindy overeat veg as it may cause her guts to become unbalanced and then she will have soft poops.

Smaller poops will be because she isn’t eating enough hay. Keep an eye on her weight, if she continuously doesn’t eat enough and her weight drops you’ll have to step in a syringe feed her.
Try not to let bindy overeat veg as it may cause her guts to become unbalanced and then she will have soft poops.
Yes thats all I need is two piggies sick. Its stressful enough having one. I'll take the veg out thats not eaten I think.

I think sometimes you sense something is wrong but there aren’t any clear signs. Piggies&Buns has given you good advise. Hopefully she will be okay.

I think she will now! Yay! I went to work, unfortunately I couldn't get out of it and while I was away I was worried sick because she could have gone either way. I know the signs, and how fast they can go downhill. but when I got home she wanted to come out of her cage and run around the room, definitely a good sign. She ate a handful of Puha/ thistle and a small piece of capsicum and is eating hay with a lot more enthusiasm again. Still has her nose in Bindys bottom, fortunately Bindy is tolerating it well, maybe she knows she is needed in this way.

Do you think Lola will be getting vitamin C from Bindys Caecals/poop because she hasn't eaten enough leafy greens or capsicum to get enough in the last couple of days.?

They eat poops to get fibre rich food for its second run, not vit c
Bummer. I have ordered some vitamin C should arrive today hopefully so will get her onto that.
This morning she ate a small bunch of Puha thistle and a couple of small pieces of capsicum, hay and Bindys Caecals. She is on the mend but I am still looking forward to a better appetite. This is not right at all for her. Interesting the vets couldn't find anything at all despite a thorough examination.

Have you ever tried a sort or two of coriander as a source of vitamin c? Remember it’s also in hay and grass, so I would be a little hesitant to give a vitamin c supplement.

Have you ever tried a sort or two of coriander as a source of vitamin c? Remember it’s also in hay and grass, so I would be a little hesitant to give a vitamin c supplement.
Will try coriander, good idea, Shes been extremely fussy about what she will eat at the moment and is mostly eating weeds. (guinea pig safe ones of course.) But I will get some tomorrow and try it

They are smaller than they should be, but this afternoon before i went to work, she had the biggest eat I have seen since the evening before I took her to the vets so we are definitely on the mend. I feel confident now and very relieved!

Good news. Keep us posted and I hope she feels better soon

Lolas eating slightly better again today and wanting to get out of her cage to run around the room. She going to be Ok I'm certain of it now. What a relief!
Thanks for the advice and support. I'm in a really happy mood now!

Back