• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Whats going on with my piggie, worried!

PiggyLover88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a question about my guinea pig angie. (F and around 4.5 years old.)

Angie went through a long journey last year with many vet visits for bladder problems.
She eventually turned out to have an encapsulated bacteria in her bladder that she eventually peed out.
She has been pain free for a year now and everything went really well!

Since last week she suddenly started squeaking again when urinating and defecating.
Of course I have been in contact with the vet and she indicated to collect urine.
It's always a real struggle to get it but eventually I got the urine sample.
I brought the urine to the vet and she did indeed have a bladder infection.
Then I was given a course of antibiotics for 14 days and a painkiller.
Apart from the pain when urinating, she ate and drank well.
I immediately started with the antibiotics and pain medicines. For the record, his was 4 days ago.
The drugs seemed to work quickly because I didn't hear her squeak anymore. I was relieved and happy for her!

Yesterday I noticed that her poo was a bit smaller than normal and she had withdrawn a bit more.
She still ate, not as much as usual though.

Today I came home from work and was quite shocked when I saw her.
She's hiding in a corner and doesn't look very good. She eats and drinks little, doesn't seem to have an appetite, doesn't even want her favorite vegetables. I've already been force-feeding her critical care.
She shakes her head left and right, up and down continuously and walks with difficulty, as if she is drunk.
I saw her walk very little tonight.
1 front leg appears slightly red at the bottom, but otherwise nothing to see / feel different.
Doesn't have a bloated stomach, all feels smooth.
I did see her urinate, today's poo are long and thin and quite dark in color.
I am very worried and I dont know what to do, I'm from the netherlands and its Sunday evening right now..
From what I can see she is not in pain, she really doesnt feel well..

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? And what else can I do for her right now? Could this be a reaction to the antibiotics/painkillers?

Of course I will be directly on the line with the vet in the morning when they open up!
And if necessary tonight, unfortunately the weekend vet on duty is really not good with guinea pigs, i have had bad experiences with them which is why I prefer to wait until tomorrow ..

Thank you in advance! X

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m afraid without a vet check you won’t really know. You will have to up the amount you syringe feed now as smaller poo means she’s not eating enough hay. Weigh her daily at the same time with the aim to help her maintain her weight. I would get her seen tonight if at all possible, because of the limited mobility. If not then tomorrow morning if at all possible.

What antibiotic was she given?
I’ll tag @Wiebke @VickiA @Piggies&buns

PiggyLover88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank u for your response and advice!
I'm very grateful!

She got doxycycline 10mg/ml, I have to give her that 2x a day 0.6 ml for 14 days.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I am very sorry that Angie is so poorly :( Please have her seen by a vet ASAP She could have a bladder stone lodged if she is struggling to walk and she will in fact be in pain. But only a vet can diagnose and treat

Slomperpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Poor Angie, from reading your description my instinct is similar to your other replies. She may be off her food & fluids because it’s too painful to pass (bit like a human having kidney stones?). Potentially her instinct response is to not eat the hay for example, as this keeps her regular and right now- in regular pain. Eating hay is vital to a pigs digestive flow. It’s definitely a case for the vet. You clearly know your pig and this is not quite right. Persevere with the vet. Enquire if their is a way to see if Angie has a stone ? For now try her on a slither of cucumber if she likes, to offer some hydration perhaps? Good luck to you and Angie.X

PiggyLover88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I wanted to give a little update, she past away in my arms this evening.

I went to the vet, they said I needed to keep going with the AB and painkillers. Couldnt find anything else..

I felt it coming today and made a appointment to euthanize her cause the situation wasnt getting better.. and didnt wanted her to suffer more.
But it was to late.

I've been cuddling with her the whole day, I could tell she loved it. When she flipt on 1 side and started kicking her feet I knew the end was near. I could hold her close and grabbed her favourite blanket.
She gasped and tried to stand up but she was to weak already.
She flipt back on one side and gasped more, and then it was over..

It was really awefull to watch and felt so powerless cause I couldn't help her anymore.. my poor sweet angie, I'm gonna miss her so much!

Slomperpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
That’s a really lovely pair of photos. Guineapigs bring something special don’t they into our lives? As creatures of the earth I feel they share a kind of sweetness & innocence that can be often lost by humans. Nothing will replace the treasured marks of Angie on your heart i’m sure. Take comfort in knowing she is not in pain anymore. 🌺