• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

What's lacquered pine

Phoenix

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi I know that pine is bad for gps but apparently there is kiln-dried and
air-dried pine and just air-dried is not suitable. Anyone know anything about this?

Also just come across lacquered pine and don't know about that either

Lady Kelly

Staff member
If pine is not suitable for piggies I would imagine the manner in which it is dried would not make a difference as it would not change the fundamental core properties of the wood. Lacquered pine is going to be treated wood which would definitely be unsafe for piggies as lacquer has a lot of harsh chemicals in it

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Pine releases chemicals that can cause respiratory problems and allergic reactions. This can happen even if they don't chew on the wood

Hannah_xx

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi is it okay if I ask a question on here too as it’s about pine!..
In Australia all I can find is pine shavings! Does anyone know where to source shavings that are not pine? I use to use shavings for my pigs in the uk I was younger then so can’t remember what they were made from, I’d assume they were pine too, or is it more common in the uk for pet shavings to be another wood type?
Australia is rubbish for guineas, the pet stores are ill-equip for piggies as there are hardly any accessories or suitable food etc.
I can’t use fleece at the moment for bedding and I’d rather not just use hay, :hmm:

Phoenix

Junior Guinea Pig
Not sure about the pine shavings but there are other beddings beside fleece and shavings like vetbed and auboise. Pretty sure there's a list on the site. Don't know if you can get them in australia though : )