• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What's wrong with his ears?

It may just be dry skin or it could be a skin condition such as infection, but only a vet can diagnose any potential problem.
He looks to have a bit of damage to his ears, has he been in a fight?

It may just be dry skin or it could be a skin condition such as infection, but only a vet can diagnose any potential problem.
He looks to have a bit of damage to his ears, has he been in a fight?
When I got them both they had there ears in quite bad shape, not smooth at all. I think mabye there sister or mum may have bit the ears, but they aren't fighting now. Shall I keep an eye on the ears for a few days? And I googled it and it seems like coconut oil fixes most dry skins, so should I use that?

When I got them both they had there ears in quite bad shape, not smooth at all. I think mabye there sister or mum may have bit the ears, but they aren't fighting now. Shall I keep an eye on the ears for a few days? And I googled it and it seems like coconut oil fixes most dry skins, so should I use that?

No, don’t ever use home treatments - a vet needs to diagnose any issue and prescribe appropriate treatments .

I would always see a vet, is this the same piggy you posted about having the odd willy? Or his cagemate maybe? Because maybe I am thinking there could be a fungal or bacterial skin infection going on in both places, which would need proper vet treatment, and at the same time maybe a deep clean of the cage with F10 disinfectant...

I would always see a vet, is this the same piggy you posted about having the odd willy? Or his cagemate maybe? Because maybe I am thinking there could be a fungal or bacterial skin infection going on in both places, which would need proper vet treatment, and at the same time maybe a deep clean of the cage with F10 disinfectant...
It's the same pig, the other one is fine and healthy

It's the same pig, the other one is fine and healthy
Then its well worth a vet check, both the willy and the ears, the willy looks ok but the ears don't look too good, and nobody can say for sure from a photo- might need some antibiotics or antifungal medicine prescribing, only the vet can say for sure! Best to book a vet appointment and get a full health check, mention anything that might be of concern at all and they can take a look :)

Then its well worth a vet check, both the willy and the ears, the willy looks ok but the ears don't look too good, and nobody can say for sure from a photo- might need some antibiotics or antifungal medicine prescribing, only the vet can say for sure! Best to book a vet appointment and get a full health check, mention anything that might be of concern at all and they can take a look :)
I've just been, to the vets, they arnt complety sure and they gave me some shampoo but I forgot the name. I have to bathe them twice a week with it and apply coconut oil. Not sure if it was worth 150 pounds, but anything for by gorgeous boys

I've just been, to the vets, they arnt complety sure and they gave me some shampoo but I forgot the name. I have to bathe them twice a week with it and apply coconut oil. Not sure if it was worth 150 pounds, but anything for by gorgeous boys

I’m glad you have been to the vets and hopefully the shampoo will help. Sadly, vets aren’t cheap.

Keep us updated with his progress

I’m glad you have been to the vets and hopefully the shampoo will help. Sadly, vets aren’t cheap.

Keep us updated with his progress
Yep. I don't see why in England humans get free health care but animals don't? The way I see it, animals are just as important

Which vet did you take him to and what did they say to do if there’s no improvement? Was the shampoo to be used on the ear? Check the bottle and tell us what it is. I would consider getting a second opinion but it’s up to you.
Vet Locator

This is the shampoo I was prescribed15946503926803478742749393475694.jpg15946504134026785744448113024867.jpg

That’s supposed to be used on a dogs coat...you can’t really shampoo a piggy’s ears - water isn’t supposed to go in their ear (could happen). I think it’s worth getting g him seen by another vet.

Back