Wheels - A Close Shave!

Status
Not open for further replies.

katanamoon

Photo Competition Winner
Reaction score
I was in Jollyes today stocking up on hay and overheard a mother and daughter (maybe 11-ish) looking at the hamster and small rodent wheels discussing which would be the best for the daughter's guinea pigs :yikes:

I'm not one for challenging strangers but apologised for butting in and gently pleaded with them not to buy a wheel or large hamster ball, and pointed out the tubes and willow balls that piggies would much prefer. Sounds like they're only 10 weeks old - I hope they go on to live happy lives but I couldn't get the horrible imagery out of my head!

Well done for getting involved. I dread to think of what could have happened. Your good deed for the day :)

You did the right thing. If they would have bought it, that piggie would have had a hard time. I hope they followed your advise.

I can't believe that some people don't do their research! They could have given their guinea pigs a serious injury!

I butt in all the time at pet shops! Whenever a young child is looking at hamster I tell the child they are scary and bitey and horrible pets then buy them myself to save them from the little brats! And I constantly advise people in cages and cage sizes and c&c cages and I tell every single person I meet to join this forum

Thats good you butted in. I'd have probably also mentioned that guinea pigs spines can't handle wheels like smaller animals. If they're wise they'd check out that information at home on the computer and realise you were right. Hopefully they listen to you. =)

I've butted in a few times at my local garden store -nottcutts- and gave some advice a few times.

I said their spines are very fragile and they seemed genuinely surprised - apparently someone had told them that guinea pigs used these wheels. I did despair a little bit inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back