• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wheezing like a duck?

C&C <3

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was vibing with my piggies on the lawn as you do with their hidy homes and noticed that one of my guinea pigs - a male teddy of around 4 years - was wheezing sort of like a low duck quack. I quickly picked him up and took him inside to check it out and he stopped when we got inside, he was breathing fine inside and acting normal. Confused, I put him back outside with his brother and he started quacking again and sneezed quite loudly. Historically he sneezed quite a lot whenever he was stressed and perhaps my taking him in randomly scared him? I’m not sure it’s associated with the quacking noises he’s making but does anyone have any past experience or advice? I’m planning on taking him to the vet if it persists.

This could just be from eating too fast and getting a bit of food stuck, which the sneeze may have cleared- but it could also be the start of a respiratory infection, my piggy Blodwen was diagnosed with a respiratory infection this morning that had started as some intermittent quacking on Thursday then progressed to constant grunting by last night! Keep a close eye on your boy and if it persists for more than a few hours get straight to the vet, potential respiratory infections need to be treated fast, within 24-48 hours of you first noticing any quacking!
I hope he is ok x

Any kind of breathing noise that is continuous or recurring is probably worth a checkup, just because respiratory illnesses can get serious so quickly. I would try to get the sound on video before the appointment, because in my experience pets never make the noise when the vet is there no matter how often they have been doing it at home! Good luck and hope it's nothing to worry about!

Back