• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wheezy/snuffly piggie

PremierPig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My poor Spotty-pig has had a really bad run of illnesses since we got her in March. I feel like we spend our lives at the vets. First we had months of ringworm, then she got pneumonia, then 2 weeks ago she started wheezing.

We took her to the vet who said her throat was inflamed and gave her 3 different medications, twice a day. A stomach calmer, antibiotics, and anti-inflammatory. After a week we took her back and the vet said it wasn't quite gone and gave her another week of the stomach calmer and anti-inflammatory. 2 days after we stopped giving this, she has started wheezing/snuffling again. Apart from the noisy breathing she seems fine, eating and running around happily.

We will obviously take her back to the vet, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on the cause of this? Their run is lined with fleece, so it isn't hay dust, and her sister is fine and has had no issues. I do sew in the same room, so I guess that there maybe some dust generated from that, but I wouldn't have thought enough to bother them.

Any thoughts/advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Spoke to the vet and she wants her to go in tomorrow and be sedated so that she can do tests to see if she needs different medication. This seems really extreme to me and risky. The tests won't come back for 10 days so she would then be on different antibiotics in the meantime.

Being bedded on fleece stops the risk of dust from bedding (such as shavings or a paper bedding) ibut there is always the risk of hay dust as they obviously need to have hay continuously.
you need to be guided by your vet though

Spotty-pig is back from the vets, they didn't sedate her in the end, which I am pleased about. But the poor thing has a 2-month course of antibiotics (2 types) along with a stomach liner. So she's not impressed. We have been at the vets weekly for the last month, and several times before that. And she's so cranky when she gets back, so her poor sister bears the brunt of her bad temper! I just hope that this knocks it on the head. 🤦‍♀️ 🙏

Back