• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

when can he move in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gothchick1515

The vet said harry can go back on his woodshavings and hay 10 days from his op so ill be cleaning him out in a bit but when do you think he should be moving in with the ladies? the vet said saturday but if I'm cleaning them out now wouldnt it be eaiser to do it now? would two days make any difference? i wouldnt usually rush it but hes in a teeny cage atm as he lives alone and i cant put him in the shed in the cold? i understand its too small but i dont have any choice atm he either lives there or freezes!

also heres some pics of his scars!
061108_22030.jpg

061108_22040.jpg
that ones at a funny angle lol

and this is the cage he's in compared to the one i want him to be in?
061108_22061.jpg
The cage he is in is the ickle one and the big one is tiddles and mimis where he will eventually live x

I presume he has been neutered? :)

Opinions on how soon he can be placed with females will vary.
Personally I have always waited 3 weeks before letting them go in with the girls and I have never had any unwanted post neuter babies!
Some people wait longer, some less. I have always stuck to my 3 week rule and it is therfore what I always advise :)

Hope the intro's go well.

I agree, wait three weeks. Some people say 6, but I think that is OTT.

I used to say 4 weeks but my vet told me 2 weeks and I know the CCT say 2 weeks. I have recently been doing it after 2 weeks and not had any problems so far ;)

Ok cool! its two weeks today and if the CCT say 2 weeks ill go with that now heres the million dollar question how do i go about bonding them! its a totally new thing for me ive only ever bonded boars, Tia i dont think will be a problem but Maria doesnt like harry well she tells him off alot, they where allowed to see each other properly today but Tia and Maria huddled to gether and he just popcorned what do i do?

Could you put the cages side by side for a few days so they can get used to each other? you then could let them have a run round either in a run or the hallway where you can keep an eye on them. If they seem ok you should be able to put them in together, but any teeth grinding or not looking happy I would'nt rush things or they may never be ok together.

ive had them next to each other for the last five days and when they are together in the runs they are so cute and clearly get on brilliantly but when i put them in the cage tia hides while maria teeth chatters at him which makes him narked he hasnt bit any of them but maria just doesnt like him!

Verity said:
ive had them next to each other for the last five days and when they are together in the runs they are so cute and clearly get on brilliantly but when i put them in the cage tia hides while maria teeth chatters at him which makes him narked he hasnt bit any of them but maria just doesnt like him!

Not all sows like to share their home with a neutered male, I have one that hates boars (she is form a breeder, so that is probably understandable, she's had enough of men!) I respect that and she lives with another sow :)

Hopefully they will settle down together, it's early days I think? Unfortunately pairing a neutered boar and sow doesn't always work out...there are no guarantees :(

Barbara

so pleased that i found this forum,lots of real guinea pig info,meaning people that have knowledge and experience,i ask vet and told 4-6weeks for my Boris to go in with sisters,well its over 4wks now so can introduces them tomorrow!they have been playing next to each other in the run,so really hoping that they be ok! thanks Fizzi seems to want to be with Boris, but Piglet not bothered,hope it will not create a problem between the sisters! any advice!

Gaile said:
so pleased that i found this forum,lots of real guinea pig info,meaning people that have knowledge and experience,i ask vet and told 4-6weeks for my Boris to go in with sisters,well its over 4wks now so can introduces them tomorrow!they have been playing next to each other in the run,so really hoping that they be ok! thanks Fizzi seems to want to be with Boris, but Piglet not bothered,hope it will not create a problem between the sisters! any advice!

No advice, but good luck and have the camera to hand to get us some pigtures of the happy trio :)

I put Boris in the hutch with his sisters,no fighting just little squeaks.really funny little noise.Need to put extention onto the 'winter hutch',big enough for 2,but sqeeze for 3 pigles.They have a BIG double decker hutch for the warmer weather!Will try and enlarge over christmas holidays,still got some ply left,sure hubby will watch kids while i have fun with drill and things!

all three are in together,no problems at all.least they can all stay warm together in colder weather!Thanks for advice!some people still think that less that 6weeks is too soon!after neutering!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back