• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

When did you become a guinea pig slave?

I first became a piggie slave in 2008 (that’s a guess... not too sure of the year 🤦🏼‍♀️) a family member took in a single boar called Coco he was a chocolate brown Abyssinian and around 2 years old. He was just amazing. The family member was unable to care for him and I had fallen in love! After a few years of owning him I discovered he had been escaping his hutch, going on little adventures alone and coming back just before I gave him his tea! 😂 I soon put a stop to it. We would just sit and cuddle forever. He lived to 8.

He pretty much started my piggie obsession, after him I had Fudge, Domino, Hazel, Honey, Twiggy and Salt and Pepper. Hazel had two litters (not on purpose), Domino was a skilful escape artist so the most I had at one time was 14.

Now I just have 4. Bilbo and Merlin and the newbies Honey and Roo. I’m also slave to a very fat tabby cat called Harley, he gets on very well with the boys x
I’ve added pictures of the boys and my biggest fur baby (I hope that’s ok)
EB0AAE0A-46AC-4E76-8C46-E1FDD09C86A1.jpegAD1C619A-FB6F-4506-BDE6-09EA77426B61.jpeg3D942A57-FD15-4421-9CA8-C545D7057B25.jpeg23691D54-26A0-4FE0-A17D-9EB03AAFBC5D.jpeg

I first became a piggie slave in 2008 (that’s a guess... not too sure of the year 🤦🏼‍♀️) a family member took in a single boar called Coco he was a chocolate brown Abyssinian and around 2 years old. He was just amazing. The family member was unable to care for him and I had fallen in love! After a few years of owning him I discovered he had been escaping his hutch, going on little adventures alone and coming back just before I gave him his tea! 😂 I soon put a stop to it. We would just sit and cuddle forever. He lived to 8.

He pretty much started my piggie obsession, after him I had Fudge, Domino, Hazel, Honey, Twiggy and Salt and Pepper. Hazel had two litters (not on purpose), Domino was a skilful escape artist so the most I had at one time was 14.

Now I just have 4. Bilbo and Merlin and the newbies Honey and Roo. I’m also slave to a very fat tabby cat called Harley, he gets on very well with the boys x
View attachment 88593View attachment 88594View attachment 88596View attachment 88597
Awwww gorgeous pets xx

My obsession with guinea pigs started when I was about 11, I’d always had rabbits and decided that I’d love a guinea pig too. My parents agreed to help my sister and I take care of one but once we got to the pet shop they advised that we should take a pair. Over the next few years we ended up taking in other people’s pigs that they had gotten bored of and the piggies gradually became my responsibility. I really owe my love of guinea pigs to my parents for allowing me to get them at an age where they would be almost entirely my parents’ responsibility. I’m so grateful to them for encouraging me to develop my love of animals and eventually pursue a career in vet nursing. I’m 20 now and I’ve had 11 guinea pigs; I currently have a gorgeous trio of girlies and I couldn’t be happier with them :D

I got my first piggy in 1996. I desperately wanted a rat but my dad refused to have a rodent in the house so I settled for a pig who lived in the shed.

My first boy was a gorgeous blonde called Gordy. He was amazing.
I've not had too many over the years:
Gordy, Magpie, Tyson, Rodney, Gip, Ace, Lister, Arnold J. Rimmer, Fozzy, Burt, Anselmo, Toki Wartooth, Spencer. All RIP.

And now I have Jon Snow, Podrick (the) Payne, and Flint. (+ 2 fosters).

So 16 total.

View attachment 88593View attachment 88594View attachment 88596View attachment 88597
All so gorgeous

When did I become a guinea pigs slave?
On the 4th of June!

What circumstances lead me to becoming a guinea pig slave?
My mum never let me have any pets growing up. When I moved out at 17 I had to take the first flat I could find because she wanted me gone, I really wanted to find a flat that would let me have whatever pets I wanted but yeah, mum wanted me out so I couldn't find the perfect flat, and the landlady only allowed me to get hamsters. I lived in that flat for about a year and a half, and then when I was 33 weeks pregnant, me and my partner started noticing mice in our flat. Turns out the entire block of flats had a mice infestation so we had to suddenly pack up and leave because we could not have solved the problem by the time I had my baby. My partners pay had been cut, and we couldn't find a 2 bedroom flat that we could afford. We were homeless, so close to giving birth, sleeping in our friends spare bedroom for 7 months, and having our baby there. Then my partner had to stop working cause our baby was so ill. Then we lived in shared emergency housing for another 5 months where I wasn't even allowed to keep the hamsters, luckily my trusted friend took them for me. Then last month we FINALLY got a new home of our own, where we're allowed any small pets we want apart from cats and dogs. My friend gave me my hamsters back, and when I went into the pet shop to get their supplies I noticed the guinea pigs and really wished I could get some, then I realised I could! I got home and joined this forum and started doing all my research straight away. When I got everything that I needed and was confident I'd done all the research I needed to do, I got Willow and Acorn!

How many guinea pigs do I have now? two!

How many guinea pigs have I had in total? Just the two ^-^

On the 4th of June!

My mum never let me have any pets growing up. When I moved out at 17 I had to take the first flat I could find because she wanted me gone, I really wanted to find a flat that would let me have whatever pets I wanted but yeah, mum wanted me out so I couldn't find the perfect flat, and the landlady only allowed me to get hamsters. I lived in that flat for about a year and a half, and then when I was 33 weeks pregnant, me and my partner started noticing mice in our flat. Turns out the entire block of flats had a mice infestation so we had to suddenly pack up and leave because we could not have solved the problem by the time I had my baby. My partners pay had been cut, and we couldn't find a 2 bedroom flat that we could afford. We were homeless, so close to giving birth, sleeping in our friends spare bedroom for 7 months, and having our baby there. Then my partner had to stop working cause our baby was so ill. Then we lived in shared emergency housing for another 5 months where I wasn't even allowed to keep the hamsters, luckily my trusted friend took them for me. Then last month we FINALLY got a new home of our own, where we're allowed any small pets we want apart from cats and dogs. My friend gave me my hamsters back, and when I went into the pet shop to get their supplies I noticed the guinea pigs and really wished I could get some, then I realised I could! I got home and joined this forum and started doing all my research straight away. When I got everything that I needed and was confident I'd done all the research I needed to do, I got Willow and Acorn!

Wow that’s quite a story @FurryBabyMama. Must have been quite an emotional pregnancy going through all that. The main thing is you’ve got your lovely piggies to add to your wonderful family now xx

Wow that’s quite a story @FurryBabyMama. Must have been quite an emotional pregnancy going through all that. The main thing is you’ve got your lovely piggies to add to your wonderful family now xx

It was quite crap yeah, haha. Tried for two and a half years to get pregnant and when it finally happens my partner nearly dies from sepsis (found out I was pregnant the day after he came home from hospital) and then we lose our home! Things are finally looking up now though. Our new flat is perfect for us, my little girl finally has her own bedroom (when she's ready to actually sleep by herself and not in my arms), her illness is getting way better and my mental health is improving so my partner can look at going back to work. The piggies definitely help to make our family feel more complete. I adore my hamsters but being nocturnal I really wanted a pet that was awake during the day! I just got wheeked at for food for the first time.. Acorn stood by the veg bowl, looking up at me and wheeking loudly like he's been starved when they've just had a bowl full of fresh grass and dandelion leaves!

On the 4th of June!

What a story.
You have been through the mill.
How is your daughter now?
How is your partner after his sepsis?
Thanks for sharing this story

What a story.
You have been through the mill.
How is your daughter now?
How is your partner after his sepsis?
Thanks for sharing this story

She’s getting better slowly. She was seriously ill with a condition called reflux and she really struggled to keep any of her milk in. It took months to find a doctor to listen, they kept saying I was just an overworried new mum. They only listened when her weight started dropping like crazy from the constant puking. My partner made an almost full recovery after needing surgery and a blood transfusion. He’s got some cognitive problems now, struggles with remembering small things and sometimes says words wrong, like saying chair when he means table etc but we deal with it. My guinea pigs should help me focus on things other than the bad past 😊

When did you become a gp slave?
What circumstances lead you to becoming a gp slave?
How many gp’s do you have now?
How many gp’s have you had in total? (Or too many to count?!).

I became a guinea pig slave nearly eleven years ago. I always had bunnys and my mother had guinea pigs when I was younger, so we wanted to have piggies again.
Currently I have three guinea pigs. In total I’ve had 14 piggies. 5 neutered boars and 9 sows.

2009 to 2 rescues, Quirrel and Einstein, Quirrel is the black and ginger, Einstein is the white with black face. Quirrel died suddenly when he was about 18 months and we had Einstein until 2014 when he had a stroke and passed not long after. We now only have Gremlin, the black and white abyssinian.

Attachments

• 941_497260420298493_926927701_n.jpg
    941_497260420298493_926927701_n.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20170409_090613.jpg
    IMG_20170409_090613.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20170302_165820.jpg
    IMG_20170302_165820.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
My son has declared that he would prefer to be called the guinea pigs' intern than a slave! Although it amounts to the same! LOL!
We got our first pair of pigs about nine years ago... our first pair were two girls named Linney and Frenzy. Poor Frenzy only lived a couple of years before passing away from severe dental abscess/sepsis, so we then acquired Sundae. Both she and Linney lived to be about 6.5 years old, and we now have our present pair, Hadley and Leela.
Here's some pics...

Here's our original pair as babies. Linney is the brindle, Frenzy is the red and white abyssinian.
10443194_10154257653375557_4850961674730050293_o.jpg

Here's Linney and Sundae...
533152_10151655115300557_1824290932_n.jpg

Here's Sundae and Hadley...
10428657_10155115401070557_5518858006749282170_n.jpg

And finally up to the present day, Hadley and Leela!
17620237_10158391206760557_1745732632791639630_o.jpg

Kind of fun to look at the old pics and see which pig is the 'big pig' and which is the baby in each pair! Though Leela is tiny and Hadley is a big girl, so Leela still looks like she could be the baby!

I first became a slave in August last year. We had the school guinea pigs for a weekend and I fell in love! Although where we live doesn’t allow pets, I asked the landlord before having the school guinea pigs, and he said we could have outside pets. So I got Toffee and Fudge with the intention of having them outside. But then the Landlord (he’s lovely) said we could keep them in, and there ends my story 😁 I initially got them for me, because I know children can be fickle and lose interest. But they have surprised me because they’re still interested in them, though I do the donkey work. Even the youngest (4) greets them and wants to help me feed them sometimes. The oldest will sometimes feed them if I’m sleeping. The second oldest will sometimes change the water...when reminded, and sings/talks to them 😊

Back