When do I try separating my pigs due to fighting?

TwitchingFool0

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 2 pigs over this last week have been having some fighting. I've read the guides on here but i'm not sure when I should try the divider. My white pig has been bullying her partner and isn't letting her eat and there's a lot of growling. She is also humping the other one's face and its been going on all week. I'm getting kind of worried. I haven't noticed any cuts or squealing but my brindle one is just having a hard time coming out now unless i'm sitting right next to them. Any thoughts or tips? I'm gonna look into a divider to separate them for a short period of time and see if there's any improvement with my one getting bullied.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How old are they? How long have they been together?
Could this just be a strong season?
If one is not being allowed to eat and its not a season etc, then it’s possible it is bullying and they may not be able to live together, but if this is a sudden change in behaviour then health issues need to be locked into, then please do have them seen by a vet

Bonds In Trouble
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

TwitchingFool0

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How old are they? How long have they been together?
Could this just be a strong season?
If one is not being allowed to eat and its not a season etc, then it’s possible it is bullying and they may not be able to live together, but if this is a sudden change in behaviour then health issues need to be locked into, then please do have them seen by a vet

Bonds In Trouble
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
I've had them a few months so they're around 5-6 months. All the sudden my white one one just keeps trying to dominate and mount the other and she growls and runs to no avail. There hasn't been any cuts or fur loss (just checked again). They've been at this for a week now. The brindle one is just trying to eat or be out in general and immediately gets chased and mounted. For a few minutes they'll quit and eat and then go back. Yet even though this is happening, the brindle one goes to hide with her and vice versa. All day I just hear grumbling and one sided chasing. Even with all this when I remove one from the cage (for cleaning) the other one freaks out. I'm a bit confused. I'll find someway to split the cage so they aren't able to make physical contact for the time being.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Given their age, this could just be hormones as chasing, mounting is normal (not fighting - pulling hair out is the sow equivalent of a boar full on fight) and sows tend to be more subtle about bullying but it’s whether the chasing and mounting is relentless, whether the underpig is losing weight due to not being allowed to eat at all, whether the underpig is becoming visibly depressed and withdrawn. If those things are happening, then their relationship is not a happy one.

TwitchingFool0

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Given their age, this could just be hormones as chasing, mounting is normal (not fighting - pulling hair out is the sow equivalent of a boar full on fight) and sows tend to be more subtle about bullying but it’s whether the chasing and mounting is relentless, whether the underpig is losing weight due to not being allowed to eat at all, whether the underpig is becoming visibly depressed and withdrawn. If those things are happening, then their relationship is not a happy one.
Both like to come out right now but my brindle one after all that chasing is just now growling at her but the white one just keeps trying. I actually put hay and water areas in two different places and its been happening less nut 24/7 its growling and the brindle one keeps telling her to back off but it hasn't really worked. I'll give it some time. They're usually stuck together like glue.