• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

When/how to move bereaved boar next to other boars

4boipigs

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Following from my other post about Bruin's heart failure and letting him go today...so now I have Little Bear left. I have Chico and Amigo who live together in a big c&c cage. I don't intend on adding Little Bear to Chico and Amigo. I want to move Little Bear's cage next to the c&c cage so he can HEAR and SMELL the others, but he can't see them. Is this going to be sufficient for him? Little Bear I'm pretty sure is almost blind, so it isn't like he can see the other pigs anyway. I worry actually being able to see another pig will disrupt Chico and Amigo's bond, as I know a third pig should not be added to a boar pair.

Here's my issue with giving Little Bear a new friend- I have no idea how old he is, but he's got to be a senior. He can't see well, and he is very small compared to other boys. I hesitate to get a friend who will outlive and have to paired with a new pig. The existing cage is not satisfactory IMO. It is a 2x4ft pet store cage that Chico and Amigo used to live in. Ideally, I would find a senior pig to adopt, but right now I don't think the local rescues have any. I have also thought about giving Little Bear to a rescue, as was my first intention with the pair (they were found abandoned), but with the rescues full I figured I may as well keep him. As for upgrading, I don't feel I have the space for another c&c cage (unless I can find a table that fits Chico and Amigo's cage, and put Little Bear's new cage on top/bottom of that table).

Mainly, I just want Little Bear's last days to be happy and not feeling lonely from the loss of his companion.

Being next to the pair will be sufficient for interaction. a lot of interaction is through smell and piggies don’t see very well anyway so not being able see doesn’t hinder interaction.
its perfectly fine to keep a single boar next to a pair of boars, they will likely be interested but it shouldn’t affect their bond at all.

Following from my other post about Bruin's heart failure and letting him go today...so now I have Little Bear left. I have Chico and Amigo who live together in a big c&c cage. I don't intend on adding Little Bear to Chico and Amigo. I want to move Little Bear's cage next to the c&c cage so he can HEAR and SMELL the others, but he can't see them. Is this going to be sufficient for him? Little Bear I'm pretty sure is almost blind, so it isn't like he can see the other pigs anyway. I worry actually being able to see another pig will disrupt Chico and Amigo's bond, as I know a third pig should not be added to a boar pair.

Here's my issue with giving Little Bear a new friend- I have no idea how old he is, but he's got to be a senior. He can't see well, and he is very small compared to other boys. I hesitate to get a friend who will outlive and have to paired with a new pig. The existing cage is not satisfactory IMO. It is a 2x4ft pet store cage that Chico and Amigo used to live in. Ideally, I would find a senior pig to adopt, but right now I don't think the local rescues have any. I have also thought about giving Little Bear to a rescue, as was my first intention with the pair (they were found abandoned), but with the rescues full I figured I may as well keep him. As for upgrading, I don't feel I have the space for another c&c cage (unless I can find a table that fits Chico and Amigo's cage, and put Little Bear's new cage on top/bottom of that table).

Mainly, I just want Little Bear's last days to be happy and not feeling lonely from the loss of his companion.

Hi!

Please move him as soon as you can so he has got company and stimulation.

PS: It may be worth to contact the rescues re. a possible 'wonky' friend for Little Bear in the longer term if you wish to. I did at one time have a group of rather rambunctious cataract sows that had failed to integrate in their rescue's herd but who created a very close bond from sharing the same problem. Furryfriend has also had pairs and even quartets with a combination of blind/dental boars with the odd seeing/healthy carer companion.

I moved his cage next to my other boys. He is running around the cage which he never does. I hope they give him some comfort. They bicker verbally a lot so he will definitely know they are around.

I moved his cage next to my other boys. He is running around the cage which he never does. I hope they give him some comfort. They bicker verbally a lot so he will definitely know they are around.

He sounds rather excited!

Today Little Bear is acting normally. I will weigh him daily for a while. He is a very small boar, at 760 grams. Not thin, just a small boy. He showed interest when Chico woke up at lunch and started wheeking. I started looking at local rescues for an older friend for him but I don't think anyone has one his age. Little Bear is also going to the vet to make sure he doesn't have any issues that would prevent me from adopting, like any health problems. I'm not 100% getting a new friend but I want to be open about it.

Today Little Bear is acting normally. I will weigh him daily for a while. He is a very small boar, at 760 grams. Not thin, just a small boy. He showed interest when Chico woke up at lunch and started wheeking. I started looking at local rescues for an older friend for him but I don't think anyone has one his age. Little Bear is also going to the vet to make sure he doesn't have any issues that would prevent me from adopting, like any health problems. I'm not 100% getting a new friend but I want to be open about it.

It may happen at some point; all you can do is being open about it. Age is less of an issue than personality and mutual liking.
all the best with the vet trip!

I found a boy at an animal shelter who *may* have a cataract. I hesitate in getting someone from an animal shelter because around here, the shelters don't seem to know how to care for them and I don't want to rack up another bill so soon after treating Bruin. This is the pig in question - Fort Worth, TX - Guinea Pig. Meet 46177124 a Pet for Adoption.

It all depends on whether the boys gel or not. If you bring home a piggy on spec, you always to factor in that they may not vibe and you have to have a plan B in the form of a divided cage in place. Do the intros very slowly and rather keep them as next door neighbours until the new boy has settled in and got his bearings - and don't be gutted if things don't work out. The two can still be friends through the bars.

You also would to have quarantine the boy in another room for 2-3 weeks before moving him next to Little Bear and may need to be prepared for vet bills as US shelters usually don't have the financial wherewithal for vet checks and treatment.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (includes the run up to an intro; please read the information as you cannot bond boars in 5 minute sessions - once you have committed, you need to see through all the bonding stages until a hierarchy is established and roughly settled or your boys will have to start all over again right from square one).

Cataracts in guinea pigs are not treatable but they also do not require any medication; however, if is an eye infection, then he needs to see a vet promptly in order to save the eye. As far as I can make out, it rather looks like an advanced cataract to me similar to the ones my Taffy developed on both eyes.

Little Bear has been in his house the last two days and not doing anything else. I moved all food, hay, and water right outside his house since he decided he doesn't wish to come out. There is a house on either end of the cage, and a couple toys. He stays in the house on the far end from the other boys. He can't see the other boys and I'm wonder if that could help. Otherwise I'm more than willing now to get a partner, and I don't care what the partner looks like (never did) or the age or special needs as long as they get along. One rescue isn't doing boar dating due to covid, and the other hasn't replied to me yet (which I understand). Boar dating is a high priority so I won't be messing with a shelter right now. I know we won't instantly find a friend which is fine because he still has to see the vet to make sure he doesn't have any issues.

I'll update this so I don't have to make a new thread.

We got approved to get a new friend from the local cavy rescue! I won't be able to do a boar date til Dec 26. Little Bear mostly hangs out in his house. Will he be okay til then? He's next to my other boys but I'm not sure if it's helping, and he isn't a human-loving pig so I can't give him too much attention as he doesn't like it (he rumbles and squeaks when he is held or pet).

I'll update this so I don't have to make a new thread.

We got approved to get a new friend from the local cavy rescue! I won't be able to do a boar date til Dec 26. Little Bear mostly hangs out in his house. Will he be okay til then? He's next to my other boys but I'm not sure if it's helping, and he isn't a human-loving pig so I can't give him too much attention as he doesn't like it (he rumbles and squeaks when he is held or pet).

That’s great news
being next door to other piggies does help, they can still hear and smell each other which will prevent loneliness.

Back