• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

When to give newborn piggies regular diet

Livvv

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea Pig, Autumn, just had 3 beautiful babies. I know that after a couple of days they can eat solid foods (they’re a little over a week old now), but when do I start giving them the 1 cup of lettuce and 1/4 cup of pellets diet?

(From my experience)
I would give them the regular diet now if they are over a week old. There may or may not be leftover lettuce, but don't worry if there is.
As for the pellets, I would feed them alfalfa based pellets, as it is beneficial for babies

When Velvet had her 3 two years ago I put pellets, veg and hay in just the same for Velvet and if the babies tried it they tried it. It hasn't done them any harm. They are healthy and happy and 2 years old now.

Okay thank you! Also, I do give them veggies with their lettuce every morning. I switch out between a little bit of celery, carrots, parsley, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc on top of the red and green leaf lettuce each day. Since they were born I’ve just been giving a cup and a half of lettuce (a half cup extra for the babies) and veggies as well as the 1/4 cups of pellets per day. I’m not sure if I should be giving 5 cups of lettuce and 1 1/4 cups of pellets per day yet (That’s for 5 guinea pigs bc I have the father in a separate cage and originally I thought they were both girls) since I have to leave after I feed them and don’t know if they need more.

Back