When to try 'lap time?'

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
With our first rescue guinea pigs, we left then to it for a few days or so before attempting to pick them up and give them lap time, as they were very nervous and scared for a while.
With our new rescue pair, they already sleep and laze around without appearing scared when you enter the room, and already take food from our hands, but we're wanting to give them time to settle before handling - if needed. So is time needed before we handle them and give them lap time, or as they seem much more confident and interactive, would it be ok to get them into the lap time routine straight away?
And should they have the same lap time as the original pair, just on separate laps until they properly live together, or a different time to the others?
Never knew adopting two new ones would bring up so many questions! 😆

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Take it at their pace - if they are confident and happy with handling and interaction with you, then do try laptime.

They can come out for lap time at the same time but keep them separate from your original pair until you properly introduce and bond them

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Take it at their pace - if they are confident and happy with handling and interaction with you, then do try laptime.

They can come out for lap time at the same time but keep them separate from your original pair until you properly introduce and bond them
Thanks :-) Will see if they'd like to join the others after dinner this evening then 😊

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've a question about logistics... now that the 4 sows are living together as a herd, is it important to always take the 4 out of their enclosure at laptime, rather than say just take two one day then the other two the next day? I am wondering about dynamics of the herd if two were missing for 30 mins each day, during laptime.
I am thinking that we could take all four out, and give laptime to two of them, and have the other two in the floor run, so they would be close and could hear each other easily during the time. Then swap over the pair the next day.
That way, I thought they'd all have time out of their enclosure every day, and it would remove the risk of difficult behaviour if we were to leave two alone in the run each day.
Or am I overthinking it too much? 😆

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Could you have two in your lap and two in the chair next to you? The important thing is to respect and maintain their hierarchy.

Alternatively you could just sit in their run with them.

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Could you have two in your lap and two in the chair next to you? The important thing is to respect and maintain their hierarchy.

Alternatively you could just sit in their run with them.
Thanks, we tried having then like that a few days ago, and the two who shared a lap were very unhappy with each other - so much squeaking and climbing on each other. Perhaps sitting in their run would be the best idea. Thank you :-)

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks, we tried having then like that a few days ago, and the two who shared a lap were very unhappy with each other - so much squeaking and climbing on each other. Perhaps sitting in their run would be the best idea. Thank you :-)
mine used to do this too, Bruno would push himself under Ozzy and Ozzy would just uncomfortably stand on Bruno’s head, very glad Bruno stopped that

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Maybe best for a while just to sit by or in the cage and handfeed treat veg :)

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
mine used to do this too, Bruno would push himself under Ozzy and Ozzy would just uncomfortably stand on Bruno’s head, very glad Bruno stopped that
Oh bless, that's what all ours do too! Always try to tunnel under each other, with one always sitting in the other's head!