• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Where do yo buy your fruit and veg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

squeakywheeky

:tickedoff: I have just been to the Co-op to top up on my fruit and veg. Spent £4.20 on 2 apples, 3 satsumas, 4 carrots, punnet of cress, greens, 4 tomatoes, cucumber and 4 mushrooms.

I may be sounding stingy here :embarassed: but I don't feel I have got my monies worth plus the cucumber is starting to mush inside and the satsuma I shared with my daughter was wrinkly and old looking when I peeled the skin.

I am trying so hard not to venture out further to Tesco or Asda as i made a pledge at New Year to do my very best in buying in my local town even if it has to be the Co-op! I know at supermarkets I can save money but I don't want to eat produce from Marakesh or Papya New Guinea or Holland.

Looked online and I have found an organic box scheme that will deliver to my area £1 delivery charge - their own organic produce £7 for veg box and £5 for fruit. I need to try it to see if amoounts are enough for family and piggy but i'd rather spend £13 a week (I probably spend this anyway if I can spend £4.20 without even trying!) on great local produce than adding to Supermarkets idiotic amount of profits.

Just my opinion. Sorry if I have offended anyone - just wanted to share what I have relised and typing out my fury at Mighty Firms profits in the process.. oh don't get me started!

i don't think the co-op is really a supermarket here in England, more of a big convenient store

try sinsbury's or waitrose, i always shop in waitrose!

Squeeky-pig said:
i don't think the co-op is really a supermarket here in England, more of a big convenient store

well the co-op is a supermarket where we live,thats why it says " wollaton co-op superstore" in the side of it ::)

Squeeky-pig said:

It's a supermarket >:(

Don't really have many of them, but they are supermarkets in their own right.

I've tried those orgnaic veggie boxes - but to be honest you don't get much. Tesco is our main supermarket and often we get fresh fruit and veg on the saturday markets :)

I tend to just nip to Sainsburys and get their stuff - the girls love it so Sainsburys veg gets the O0 from them! :)

;)

Unfortunately I have to make do with the CO-OP as it's the only supermarket in our town.
Have a lovely market stall in summer though. They love the carrot tops.

I try to make a point of using my local green grocer and although they are a bit more expensive than our little Co-op they do save me veg "trimmings" from time to time so it's worth it to me to pay that little bit extra :laugh:

I get my veg from Fresh n Wild or farmers markets where I can - I much prefer organic local seasonal stuff to the big supermarket offerings

I have a huge Asda near me that is very cheap, but theres something not right to me about rows and rows of fruit and veg all the same size and that last for 3 weeks

Fresh food should not last that long - if it does then it has been chemically altered in my opinion

(just my opinion and sorry to offend anyone that does not have the same choices as me.)

I go to the local market in Newcastle every Monday lunchtime and I get everyhting for me and the boys for a week.

Example from Monday

Spring cabbage, sweet pot, carrott, cauli, sprouts, apples, grapes(red and green), bananas, blueberries, rasps, strawbs and kiwi

£4.20!!

If I'd got the same amount in asda it would have been around £7-8!

My local greengrocers for me. Its dirt cheap & really good stuff - and they even have wonky cucumbers! I agree with you Billiesmum, i get freaked out with the uniform veg in the big supermarket chains there's something sinister about it! We have a local co-op whos veg is absolute shite & so expensive. There is a new Somerfield on my street who are slightly better & sell the stuff with the british tractor label & alot of organic stuff. The veg is better quality - but its not the same as the grocers.

The right time of the year I get stuff from the'wild side' when I'm out of the city.

I really begrudge buying my veg and meat from the supermarket, especially when you go for the organic mined beef and its from brazil! But I've tried the smaller greengrocers and their stuff always looks manky.. plus they are not open when most people finish work. I try to go to the butchers for meat coz I don't trust any of the supermarkets, but I know when I go to Tescos tomorrow I'll just get all my salad and veg there coz I hate shopping and don't want to have to trail round another shop on the weekend!
There are some farm shops near us but I never seem to have the time to go... :(

Does anyone remember the scandal over the condemned poultry that was being sold to all the main supermarkets a couple of years ago? They were washing it down with a bleach solution to get rid of the green slime that was covering it - gross.

I usually use the supermarkets near me as i know they've been bought that day.
I buy different veggies from different supermarkets, i've worked out who has the best of each veggie or fruit and shop accordingly.
Sent OH to buy cucumber and he didn't buy the right one, Duke showed his dislike by not eating it :tickedoff: , now OH knows which one he should buy for him ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back