• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Where To Get Guinea Pigs In South Devon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsZone

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in Torquay and have been trying to find a breeder but I can't seem to find any online.
I have already decided against Pets At Home due to previous experience with our last Hamster from there, there is also an Ark Pet Shop but they keep their Guinea Pigs and Rabbits together and when I went in today their water bottles looked all green :(
There are some rescue places locally but I'd like to get young ones preferably and the ones in the rescues tend to be older.
I am probably going to look at Fermoys Garden Centre and Jack's Patch but wondered if anyone knew of anywhere else or could recommend somewhere in the Torbay/South Devon area?

Hey.
This is a rescue friendly forum, and never recommends a person getting piggies from a breeder. Rescues have more than enough piggies in to adopt from.
The rescue locator bar at the top will help you locate a centre near you if you type in your postcode :)
Litte pips in sidmouth devon will probably be the closest too you?
Rescues often have young piggies, if you contact them regularly to check and see who they have in, you'll be sure you find pups eventually.
However, why is it you would like pups? Adult piggies are every bit as loving and friendly as pups. You wont find that by having piggies from pups you will develop a closer bond with them if your worried about that. Piggies arn't really like that unless extreme abuse of neglect has psychologically damaged them. If you give them love and attention, they'll give you it back, no matter old or young :)
Good luck! :) x

Thank you all for the replies. I was going purely from previous experience as a hamster owner, it is recommended you go to professional breeders when buying hamsters. Also the reason I would like pups is that I was misled over the age of my last hamster, was told she was about 6 months but after taking her to the vet I found out it was likely that she was much older and whilst we loved her and enjoyed our time with her she was only with us 3 months before she died :( I really don't want to go through that again. Obviously you never know and there may be illnesses etc that can cause an early death but to be misled and have so little time broke my heart.

This is why we promote rescues and not breeders, ages are provided, the pairs are well bonded and correctly sexed. There's people with rescue pigs they got when they were 3, and are still going 3 years later. It's all about the care given, I feel also, it's easier to bond with older pigs, especially those in rescue as they have had more human contact and aren't as skittish as the pups.

More to the point many breeders breed bad stock or inbreed.

To add to that - the very purpose of being a breeder is to attain certain features to a line of animals. For this to happen a LOT of inbreeding has to be done to acquire and 'lock-in' features that are frequently detremental to the animal. Lots of us have horror stories about the cost to the animal of inbreeding, one of my own rescue pigs included.

Rescue all the way! Better quality of life for the pigs for certain, and the proper support if anything should go wrong, of which chances are very low. :)

Hello there. Thank you for all your info, was so sorry to hear the bad experience you had with your little hamster, very sad. Do contact some local rescue centres and arrange to go visit and have a chat. They can let you see their piggies and if they have youngsters born there will know their ages. Don't rule out an older couple, or an older plus a younger companion. You find some adorable and loving piggies just desperate to find their loving forever home waiting patiently in rescues all over the country. A visit may help you find the guinea pig of your dreams!:)

I can't recommend Little Pip's enough. My Morten and Archie came from there and they are wonderful piggies! Morten was even born there. My boys are bonded so well, they are completely devoted even though I have female pigs too. Also Little Pips are lovely and they can't do enough to help you. I am up in the North West and my boy's were bought up to me with a lot of help from them and also some very helpful forum members! Having owned piggies over 20 years and owning pet shop and breeder piggies over the years I would now never go anything but rescue x

I'm in South Devon too and it does seem we are very far away from good piggy rescues down here! Have you tried looking in your vets/local papers/internet sites etc? Sadly there are always people who don't seem to be able to look after or keep their piggies and are looking for forever homes - it may be that there are some gorgeous piggies wanting a new home and you can be just the person for them! Good luck with your search. x

Rescues often have babies born to sows that were pregnant when they were brought in. You would have the added inner glow of having saved a life :) by freeing up space for more needy pigs :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back