• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Which Vit C supplement should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellie_jo3213

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice of what brand of Vit C supplement to use with pigs, and what dose?
I've cut out nuggets from her diet so figured I need to supplement. Currently using Pro C pro-biotic with added Vit C on her veggies.
Also any other vit or minerals needed? I've put a mineral lick in the cage but I doubt she uses it.

I didn't think you needed mineral licks or vitamin C supplements. If they're getting loads of veggies, won't they get loads of vitamin C? Sorry I dunno if I'm right :)

You won't need to give any supplemaents with a good mixed veg + hay diet. Mineral licks are a great big no no in my book - too much calcium in the diet can and does form bladder/kidney stones which can be a fatal and most painful condition.

I would suggest you do some research into the mix of veg too, if you haven't done so already - just to make sure you're giving a broad enough selection and not too mainly from the high calcium range. I'm sure there's many threads on here to choose from.

Suzy x

You shouldn't need to worry too much about vitamin C, as long as you're feeding fresh foods. More of a concern would be vitamin D, unless it is an outdoor piggy.

I have had Snowball since 9 August and Basil since 21 August. When I got Snowball Pets at Home said one of the things I needed to buy was the Pro C Probiotic. As per the instructions I add 1 scoop (provided) to 200ml of water and have been doing that every day since I got them. I give them broccolli, carrot and tomato every morning and some Kale in the evening.

Should I not be adding the Pro C?

Sandra

There's loads of vit C in brocolli and tomato so you don't need to give supplements - as they been used to the Pro C I would decrease it's use over a week so there isn't a big change in one go.

As a rule if they have a good varied diet and are healthy they won't need supplements at all.

HTH

Suzy

My problem is that piggy doesn't eat a varied diet. Only carrots, cucumber, sweetcorn and grass.
Ive tried lots of different food like tomato and broccoli etc.. but she wont go near it. Ive tried hiding it amongst her normal veg but she eats around it or wont eat any of the veg!

So why cut out her nuggets then? She will get the complete range of vitamins and minerals in the right proprotion.

Suzy x

I used to work in pets at home a while ago and we got told to say about the Pro C thing but I just felt it was a way of making more money off people. If your giving them lots of veg its enough :) I don't give mine any supplements and there fine :)
x

So why cut out her nuggets then? She will get the complete range of vitamins and minerals in the right proprotion.

Suzy x

shes been having problems with over grown molars as she was preferring to eat nuggets rather than veg or hay. so by cutting them out she's been eating more hay and has been 3 months without a dental after having 2 dental's in 2 months previously. shes also not as over weight as she used to be.

IF you use a Vit C supplement you need to use one without added zinc as it can become toxic for piggies.

I use Tescos chewable Vit C 500mg - grind up in 5ml of water to create a solution of 100 mg/ml and give 0.5ml by syringe (=50mg total).

My piggies get a very balanced diet of nuggets and greens - but occasionally I give them an extra boost of Vit C if they are looking slightly less lively or their condition isn;t A1....it improves their coats (they are Abbyx's with wiry coats but after extra Vit C they become really silky) boosts their immune system and increases their resistance to infection. It hleps with bladder problems, respiratory problems, coat/skin problems and general lethargy.

I would NOT however give multivitamin spray anymore on their food (such as beaphar) as they can be overdosed on the Vit E which can be toxic.....

...nor would I put vit drops in their water.....as you can;t gaurantee they are getting the right dose.......

HTH
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back