White boar problem!

exia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So, as a first time owner of a white boar I have this little problem of stains. I'm pretty fanatic with cleaning private parts and bums, if you ask my guys. Not becuse I really think they are very dirty every time - I want them to get used with that kind of handling IF they get analsacs etc. when they get older. Three out of four has started to get with the program and let me wash and trim nails very calmly.

But I just can't get Joe to deal with brushing his hair. He hates it. And he's a messy little dude, so he needs to take a bath from time to time. But this pee... 😩 A couple of weeks after bathing he looks like , with pee on his belly, a two week old tomato in his fur and a crazycrazy mane of hair. If the mane makes him happy I won't get in his way - he can even keep that tomato - but how do we get the peebelly to get all white again?

Does anyone have som advice to give? Some very good shampoo etc?

20200605_114801.jpg
This is what we're dealing with... Even his nails are hairy scary

eileen

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
i have to trim out white haired piggies wee stains.my boars that are neutered seem much better at cleaning themselves than the sows !

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m not too sure about getting the pee stains out. I think it’s just the way white piggies are. Bathing too often also isn’t good so you may just have to leave well alone.

With regards cleaning their bottom ends, it’s not necessary to do it regularly when they’re still young. You can check for hay and stuff stuck up there but don’t over clean. Boars will scent mark and the more you clean the more they do it.

exia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m not too sure about getting the pee stains out. I think it’s just the way white piggies are. Bathing too often also isn’t good so you may just have to leave well alone.

With regards cleaning their bottom ends, it’s not necessary to do it regularly when they’re still young. You can check for hay and stuff stuck up there but don’t over clean. Boars will scent mark and the more you clean the more they do it.
No, I don't bath him THAT often 😂 he's a messy little dude, but I don't want him to get sick or give him dry skin etc. I don't force him to comb his hair either, I don't think it's necessary as long as he doesn't get poo or urine in it. Thankfully he doesn't get that long hair around his bum.

It's WHEN I bath him I want to get the stains away (so that he can work up some new ones).

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a long haired white boar, and find that he keeps clean as long as I keep his underneath and around his bottom trimmed. It also stops him getting matted as his hair is so long. But he’s rather good at grooming himself, always looks white 😊

Attachments

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have a long haired white boar to, we just trim his bum area and pee stains away, what bedding are you in? I know when we switched from shavings to fleece there was a noticeable difference in how yellow he got! In terms of brushing we put a piece of veg that takes long to eat infront of him and he cooperates 😂

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have a long haired white boar to, we just trim his bum area and pee stains away, what bedding are you in? I know when we switched from shavings to fleece there was a noticeable difference in how yellow he got! In terms of brushing we put a piece of veg that takes long to eat infront of him and he cooperates 😂
We use towels with puppy pads on top, then bath mats on top. They have fleece bedding and vet bed where needed for absorbency. I avoid shavings anyway to reduce chance of respiratory problems.
glad he cooperates for the brushing! 😁 ours are the same, easily distracted by food!

exia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I guess we just have a bad little washer at home then 😂

At the moment we switch between bath mats, fleece and sometimes shavings. We haven't decided what we and the guys prefers the most yet. I guess we have to look for witch one who reduces the peebelly, and let that be the winner!