• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White patch on eyeball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPHill

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Morning all. I came down today to find that little Whitey who is 2 and a half weeks old has a white patch on her eyeball. It is quite large and covers about 50% of her eyeball. She seems happy in herself and not in any discomfort, but does anyone know what this is please? Claire:(

Hi there, it sounds like a hay poke injury. It'll probably make the whole eye go opaque as that's what the eye does to heal itself. It looks quite scary but rest assured it should get better in a few days. If it seems like it is infected in any way (gunk etc) then take your pig to the vets and she will need chloramphenicol eye drops to help with it xx

ah, thanks so much for that. I wouldn't be surprised as she really goes for it when eating hay, getting right in there! I'll keep my eye on it and fingers crossed it will heal OK xx

Yes, it could be a hay poke injury.

My piggy, Mama Pig, once got bit in the eye by Nibbles. It turned white for a few days. Could this be another possibility for Whitey? Does she live with any other piggies?

Yes she does live with 3 other piggies. I've not noticed any biting but there has been a bit of the older one nudging her around a bit recently. Think I'll keep eye on it (excuse the pun!) and see how it is the end of the week. Guess if it's a bite or hay poke it should be looking better by then?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back