• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

LuciPig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. I’m a very worried Guinea Pig mum right now. I recently changed over to fleece under a week ago and noticed one or more of my piggies (I have 4 so it’s hard to tell which one) has been having white powdery pees daily. I’m not sure how long this has been going on for as I never noticed it when I was using wood shavings for bedding. Since Monday (it is now Friday) I have changed their diet to a low calcium diet and the white powdery pees have not changed. I haven’t noticed any of them struggling to pee or anything that looks like they are not well. So I am wondering how long does it take for their pee to go back to normal? Does it take a week? A couple weeks? A month? 3 months? I can’t find this information anywhere and I’m getting worried that there’s something really wrong with my piggies. 3 of them are 7 months old and 1 is image.jpga year old. I feed them meadow hay and excel biscuits. I have recently started filtering their water a couple days ago too. I’m very tempted to just take all 4 of them to the vets to get checked over which I’m worried will cost me an arm and a leg so before I do that I’d really appreciate some advice on here. Thank you.

This is normal as guineapigs excrete excess calcium in their urine. As long as it’s powdery it’s fine, but should it become gritty to touch then you might have problems with bladder stones.

This is normal as guineapigs excrete excess calcium in their urine. As long as it’s powdery it’s fine, but should it become gritty to touch then you might have problems with bladder stones.
Thank you for replying so quickly. I read somewhere that if it these pee’s happen daily then it’s not good. Is this true?

Even on a low calcium diet one of my ladies urine comes out white. We got her vet checked and all was good. We were told to not worry unless it is no longer smooth / powdery. The less white as possible is ideal but not always possible. It just depends on the piggie. Hope this helps. I would always say to get piggie checked if you are worried for your peace of mind.

Even on a low calcium diet one of my ladies urine comes out white. We got her vet checked and all was good. We were told to not worry unless it is no longer smooth / powdery. The less white as possible is ideal but not always possible. It just depends on the piggie. Hope this helps. I would always say to get piggie checked if you are worried for your peace of mind.
Thank you so much. I’m still trying to figure out which piggy it is at the moment. Once I know which piggy it is and it still hasn’t improved I will take them to the vets for a check up 😊

Norman also has white urine. He's a healthy chap - although he would disagree - he tells everyone he meets that he's starving and needs more food...

Norman also has white urine. He's a healthy chap - although he would disagree - he tells everyone he meets that he's starving and needs more food...
Haha! Piggies, eh?! My lovely eldest longhair Bella is the same. She loves her food more than the other three.

Welcome to the forum
The advice you’ve been given is excellent but I know what you mean when you have several piggies in a cage there’s no way of knowing who does what.
I did suggest colour coding poops to mine so I could tell which piggy was doing what.
Still all brown!

Please can we see photos

@LuciPig New fleeces don't usually wick as well as older fleeces so the pee doesn't go through as easily. It might get better the more the fleeces are washed.

Keep an ear out for squeaking or squealing when peeing as bladder issues, or cystitis, tends to make them more vocal when having a wee or poo.

Just an update. When I got home from work today I decided to do a quick health check on all the pigs and noticed my lovely Luci has white smelly vaginal discharge. I’ve had a gut feeling all week that something may be wrong with one of my piggies. I’m calling the vets first thing in the morning. This could be the reason for the white urine, I’m not sure. Thank you everyone who replied to this post. I will keep you all updated.

I know the odd calcium wee is nothing to worry about but f it's constant then I would look at diet as this can be a sign there's too much calcium in the diet.

Just an update. When I got home from work today I decided to do a quick health check on all the pigs and noticed my lovely Luci has white smelly vaginal discharge. I’ve had a gut feeling all week that something may be wrong with one of my piggies. I’m calling the vets first thing in the morning. This could be the reason for the white urine, I’m not sure. Thank you everyone who replied to this post. I will keep you all updated.
Will be thinking of you. Hope it goes OK.

Back