• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White spot on left eye

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I know this is been a very long time I have made any posts here. My male Guinea pig 'brownie' 2 years 4 months old now. He is got a white spot on his eye. I didn't notice any of this spot yesterday. This morning while feeding him I observed his left eye looked smaller than the right. When I picked him and had a closer look I came across this spot. Need your help friend. Please check the photos I have attached.
IMG_20200707_135601.jpgIMG_20200707_135610.jpgIMG_20200707_135705__01.jpgIMG_20200707_135655__01.jpgIMG_20200707_135705__01__01.jpg

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I am in india tamilnadu now. Since there is strict lockdown continued getting a vet appointment immediately becomes super difficult now. It looks like I can't get an appointment till Friday morning. I have never faced this issue with any of my Guinea pig. He isn't bothered of this white spot in his eye. He drinks, eats, pees and poops normal. And active like always. Doesn't keep his eye shut too like usually piggys keep their eyes shut when in pain. I am super concerned. If I could know what this could be from all your experiences would give me a relief.

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you @Claire W . I will try to get an appointment at the earliest. Could I clean his eye with saline solution till I get a vet appointment for safer side?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you @Claire W . I will try to get an appointment at the earliest. Could I clean his eye with saline solution till I get a vet appointment for safer side?
I wouldn’t, your vet should prescribe you with an appropriate antibiotic eye drop but the sooner he is seen, the better

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Any spot on top of the eye is an ulceration (infection). It usually forms over over the point where a stalk of hay has pierced the surface of the eye and requires prompt treatment. Eye injuries can deteriorate very quickly but if they are treated promptly, they generally also heal quite quickly. But you need antibiotic eye drops to do that - your vet should have those as they are the same products that are used for cats and dogs.

Additionally you can help the healing process with some artificial tear fluid either from your vet (if they have it) or from a pharmacy to keep the eye hydrated and more comfortable. You have to wait at lease 30-60 minutes until after the antibiotic eye drops to allow those to be fully absorbed before using any tear drops but you can give the tear drops 3-6 times a day.

Please contact your vet first and ask what is safe for you to do if you can't be seen within 24 hours.

All the best! These things tend to happen at the most awkward of times... :(

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you @Wiebke I couldn't get hold of the vet in person due to the lockdown but he is asking me to use eye drops with Ciprofloxacin or chloramphenicol. Also asked me to use artificial tear drop as you suggested. My only fear is are these two antibiotics suitable for Guinea pigs?

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If both antibiotic eye drops are safe. Which is best for cornea ulcer?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you @Wiebke I couldn't get hold of the vet in person due to the lockdown but he is asking me to use eye drops with Ciprofloxacin or chloramphenicol. Also asked me to use artificial tear drop as you suggested. My only fear is are these two antibiotics suitable for Guinea pigs?
Hi!

Chloramphenicol is what I usually get prescribed in a bad case of an eye injury; it is the heavy gun in terms of eye injuries.
I haven't come across ciproflaxacin before but the name suggests that it is in the same class of antibiotics as baytril (active ingredient: enroflaxacin) and that it should be therefore safe to use, too.

All the best! the sooner you can treat, the better. If you can get any of these meds, including the artificial tear drops, as gel then that would be preferable as it is easier to apply and longer lasting in effect. Gels are not available everywhere though; both ways work. Tear drops you best give 3-6 times a day and gel about 3 times although you can do it more often in case of a severe injury.

If you struggle on your own as your piggy won't like being handled close to a hurting eye, please ask another person in the household to hold your piggy. Pull down the lower eyelid and aim the drops into the gap. You may need to try more than once.

Please persist with medicating past any red rims (blood supply diverted towards the injured area) and any dullness inside the eye (lingering infection that has not yet fully cleared). It can look more alarming some days into the treatment when the surface ulceration has gone.

I hope that this helps you?

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you so much @Claire W @Wiebke . @Wiebke your experiences of how to use these drops is helping me a lot. I planning to go with chloramphenicol eye drop if I get hold of it since it is being widely used by all of you. First thing tomorrow morning I am going to get these drops.
My vet has asked me to administer these drops till Saturday when I could meet him in person.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much @Claire W @Wiebke . @Wiebke your experiences of how to use these drops is helping me a lot. I planning to go with chloramphenicol eye drop if I get hold of it since it is being widely used by all of you. First thing tomorrow morning I am going to get these drops.
My vet has asked me to administer these drops till Saturday when I could meet him in person.
Yes, you will likely need to use them for longer but it is good that you will see the vet for a check up!

All the best for getting on top of it soon. Please make clear that these medications are for an eye injury.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
PS: Chloramphenicol is three times a day; if you can, try to aim at spacing it out fairly evenly around the day.

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unfortunately I haven't got hold of the eye drops still. The vet said he will source it and give before this evening. His eye looks bad 😔 I am crying seeing him suffer 😢

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Unfortunately I haven't got hold of the eye drops still. The vet said he will source it and give before this evening. His eye looks bad 😔 I am crying seeing him suffer 😢
Try not to worry, it’s great you’re getting them today! Big hugs x